aqua

Uninstalling from program and features

Hi,

Evaluating Enterprise Trial 9.6.1 of AI.

If we uninstall the application from the installer then we see the 'maintenance welcome dialog' and then 'maintenance type dialog' and if we choose 'remove' from then, we are presented with one more confirmation dialog to click 'remove' to remove the application.

My concern is that why we do not see additional confirmation dialog while trying to remove/uninstall the application from windows 'program and features' and it just presents a dialog and within a fraction of second uninstall begins. Kindly let me know if additional confirmation dialog is possible while uninstalling the application from windows 'programs and features'.

Thanks
Daniel

Re: Uninstalling from program and features

Hello,

In order to achieve what you want you can take a look on our "VerifyRemoveDlg from Add/Remove programs" thread.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
aqua

Hi,

Seen the 'post link' given, that way, yes i know, can be achieved, but i have customized something like if a user initiate from 'installer' then in 'maintenance dialog' there is some link which will be presented, and i do not want that link to be presented if user removes/uninstalls from windows 'add/remove' utility.

Also as mentioned in the link that 'windows installer' performs silent uninstall when using 'remove' from 'add/remove programs' , i fear that is not true as in my Vista there are number of programs installed with 'uninstall' enabled and available and clicking that presents me a small window's prompt confirming 'Are you sure you want to uninstall .......?", with 'Yes' 'No' buttons and below 'unchecked check box saying 'in the future do not show me this dialog'.

Thanks
Daniel

Hello,
in my Vista there are number of programs installed with 'uninstall' enabled and available and clicking that presents me a small window's prompt confirming 'Are you sure you want to uninstall .......?", with 'Yes' 'No' buttons and below 'unchecked check box saying 'in the future do not show me this dialog'.
Please keep in mind this is the Windows default behavior. Also, if you have checked the "In the future, do no show me this dialog box" option, then the related warning will be suppresed. So, if it is the case you can take a look on "Uninstall Program Warning Message" article.

Let us know if this helps, otherwise please give us more details about your scenario (maybe exemplify).

All the best,
Daniel
aqua

Hi,

No, I have not checked 'do not show this in future' check box and i get this prompt for other programs installed in my system. I am just asking why this 'windows default' prompt/confirmation dialog after clicking 'uninstall' from 'add/remove programs' does not appear when i try to uninstall package/app made in Advanced Installer. or a way to display 'VerifyRemoveDlg' when uninstalling/removing application from windows 'add/remove' utility.

Thanks
Daniel

Hello,

Please keep in mind this is the normal behavior when you are using our "Enhanced User Interface" feature on uninstall (when the "Always (install, uninstall and maintenance)" option from "Themes -> Settings -> User Interface" group is enabled). This happens because when you are using the "Enhance UI" on uninstall, the uninstall will be handled through our API. Otherwise, the uninstall will be handled through msiexec.

However, in order to obtain what you want you can disable the "Enhanced UI" feature on uninstall (i.e. you can enable it only on install).

All the best,
Daniel
aqua

Hi,

So with Enhanced UI, uninstall is handled by Advanced Installer API. I saw three options there viz. always, only install and never. Is it possible to use EUI only for Install and Maintenance/change leaving uninstall on msiexec.

Thanks
Daniel

Hello,

I'm afraid you cannot achieve this. However, as a workaround (when the "Enhanced UI" feature is always enabled) you can proceed like this:
- Go to "Table Editor" page and select the "Registry" table. Set the "Value" field of the "UninstallString" row like this:

Code: Select all

[AI_UNINSTALLER] /i [ProductCode] ASK="uninstall"
- Go to "Dialogs" page and add a new dialog in sequence (i.e. NewSeqDialog) after "Maintenance -> PrepareDlg". Here add a check box control like this:
  • Text: Uninstall
    Property Name: ANSWER
    Value: checked
    Default Value: checked
- On the [Next>] button add the following published events:
  • Name: Uninstall one or more features
    Argument: ALL
    Condition:

[EDIT] Ignore the following red steps (the reason is discussed in a later post below):
    Name: [AiSkipExitDlg]
    Argument: 1
    Condition: NOT ANSWER

Name: [AI_INSTALL]
[EDIT] Instead of the red steps above, perform the following green font step:
- Go to "Table Editor" page, select the "InstallUISequence" table and set the "Condition" field of the "ExitDialog" row like this:

(NOT AiSkipExitDlg OR NOT AI_INSTALL) AND NOT ASK
- Go to "Custom Actions" page, select the "Wizard Dialogs Stage" and from its context menu choose "Show standard action -> User Selection -> MaintenanceWelcomeDlg". In the "Execution Condition" field, from "Standard Action Properties" right pane, set the following condition:

NOT ASK
- Select the "Wizard Dialogs Stage" and from its context menu choose "Show standard action -> ExecuteAction". In the "Execution Condition" field, from "Standard Action Properties" right pane, set the following condition:

ANSWER OR NOT ASK
- Move the "NewSeqDialog" custom action under "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> User Selection -> ResumeDlg". In the "Execution Condition" field, from "Standard Action Properties" right pane, set the following condition:

ASK
- Build and run your project.

Please keep in mind that in order to implement this workaround you need at least an "Enterprise" project type.

All the best,
Daniel
aqua

Hi,

Following all steps mentioned above lead me to below error when tried to open Advanced Installer after saving my project file..

[SEH_AV_READ_BADPTR] ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at address [0x006c9e30]

Advanced Installer 9.6.1 build 47670
*** Stack Trace (x86) ***

[0x006c9e30] -----
[0x00535118] -----
[0x006cecd6] -----
[0x5004016a] free()
[0x005a03e8] -----
[0x006cf8be] -----
[0x00596b8a] -----
[0x00943137] -----
[0x00546793] -----
[0x005d15aa] -----
[0x0153833d] -----
[0x50032dc7] NLG_Return()
[0x00938c8b] -----
[0x5004233b] operator new()
[0x007eaf8f] -----
[0x00521e71] -----
[0x0052136c] -----

Now I am unable to open my aip. Kindly check.

Thanks
Daniel

Hello,

Indeed, this seems to be an Advanced Installer issue. A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing it to our attention. Until then, you can proceed like this (using a new project):
- Remove the above two published events (added on [Next>] button of the new dialog in sequence):
  • Name: [AiSkipExitDlg]

Name: [AI_INSTALL]
- Go to "Table Editor" page, select the "InstallUISequence" table and set the "Condition" field of the "ExitDialog" row like this:

(NOT AiSkipExitDlg OR NOT AI_INSTALL) AND NOT ASK
Also, if you want to use your current project (which generates the above error) then you can send the .AIP file to support at advancedinstaller dot com and we will fix it for you.

All the best,
Daniel
aqua

Yes, it worked, but does not look nice, rather simple mini dialog with only 'yes' and 'no' is more suitable.

Moreover, i don't know but kinda loosing some confidence in AI due to repeated errors/bugs. Also the error which I have mentioned in this post is something similar to as mentioned in post "Application ran into a problem that it couldn't handle", kind of related to some 'Bad Pointer'. Kindly check.

Also kindly let me know if base machine OS matter where we are building the package like which version of Windows we are using to build our package.

Thanks
Bogdan

Moreover, i don't know but kinda loosing some confidence in AI due to repeated errors/bugs. Also the error which I have mentioned in this post is something similar to as mentioned in post "Application ran into a problem that it couldn't handle", kind of related to some 'Bad Pointer'. Kindly check.
Errors/bugs are detected for each version, this is why we have approached the agile development process, so we can issue a fix ASAP. We usually release a new version in less than 2 months, including both new features and fixes for the current ones. Also, if a major bug is encountered, we release a bug fix much sooner, especially for that, as it was the case for version 9.6.1 for example.
Also kindly let me know if base machine OS matter where we are building the package like which version of Windows we are using to build our package.
No, this does not affect the OS-es targeted by your application. The build machine must only meet our requirements for installing Advanced Installer in order to create your packages.

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
JustAProgrammer

Wrong thread sorry
Dan

Hello,

The uninstall confirmation dialog when remove from Control Panel a package with Enhanced UI improvement has been added in version 11.1 of Advanced Installer released on April 28th, 2014.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
kelly

Hey,
If you want to display a confirmation dialog after the uninstall (from Control Panel) process take place, something similar with with the finish dialog from the installing sequence, check the Finish dialog after Uninstalling from Control Panel. It also contains a sample implementing this scenario.
Bye!

Return to “Building Installers”