julians

Path Variables

Hi,

I'm making use of path variables in my project to have different enviornment builds. Everything works okay but I've got a couple of questions around the implementation:

1) When you first add a path variable you need to run the wizard to then update and replace existing path references. This makes sense.
2) After you have added path variables and run the wizard, if you add a new file it still inserts it as a relative path even if there is a suitable path variable to use. So my question here is why isn't the most appropriate path variable used as substitution when the file is added - instead I need to remember to add a file and run the path variable wizard each time I add a new file? This can cause unintentional issues with environment builds and seems a bit counter intuitive.
3) It seems the only way to get path variables picked up is by runnning the path wizard... so is there a way to run the path wizard from the command line so that I can include it as part of my automated build process in the event a file was added without remembering to run the path variable wizard?

Cheers
Julian
mihai.petcu

Re: Path Variables

Hi Julian,
After you have added path variables and run the wizard, if you add a new file it still inserts it as a relative path even if there is a suitable path variable to use. So my question here is why isn't the most appropriate path variable used as substitution when the file is added - instead I need to remember to add a file and run the path variable wizard each time I add a new file? This can cause unintentional issues with environment builds and seems a bit counter intuitive.

This option is already available from the menu bar -> Project -> Options -> Path Variables tab:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ables.html
Thank you for your suggestion, indeed the GUI needs an intuitive improvement regarding this setting. I have added it on our TODO list so it will be available in a future release.
It seems the only way to get path variables picked up is by runnning the path wizard... so is there a way to run the path wizard from the command line so that I can include it as part of my automated build process in the event a file was added without remembering to run the path variable wizard?

Here is an article to help you with this command line.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”