jfree

Problem Upgrading Multiple Instance Installs

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:48 pm

I was able to create an install using AI 7.6.1 using the Multiple Instance functionailty to support up to 40 instances of my application. It works great, and I love being able to manage the installed instances independently. Naturally, I needed to be able to create and apply updates and patches to any previously installed instances as well as install new instances of a more recent version of my application alongside older instances that were previously installed. I ran into an interesting problem.

In my case, I installed 3 instances of my original build. I'll call them B1, B2 & B3. I then bumped up the Product Version and said "No" to generating a new Product Code. When I run the new build, I get the choice of whether to manage one of my 3 previous installs or to create a new instance. If I attempt to install a new instance, it acts as though it's going to do so, and then the installer simply goes away. Log files says it installed the new instance, but it didn't do anything.

So, I decided to experiment and see what happens if I upgrade one of the previously installed instances. I chose to upgrade the B2 instance, and it worked fine. I then attempted to create a new instance with the newer installer, and got the same results. So, I upgraded B1 this time. Then I attempted to install a new instance and it worked. So I ended up with my B1 and B2 instances being updated, a new B4 instance, and an old B3 instance installed. So it seems that I was not able to create a new instance of the updated install until I at least upgraded my base instance first.

Is there a way to fix this behavior so that I am not required to update the base instance prior to being able to install a new instance of a more recent install package?

Thanks in advance,
JQF

Cosmin

Re: Problem Upgrading Multiple Instance Installs

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:54 am

Hi,
I then bumped up the Product Version and said "No" to generating a new Product Code.
Please note that the ProductCode should remain the same only for patches and small updates. For major upgrades you need to change the Product Code (answer Yes).
Also, you cannot update just some of the instances. An upgrade should uninstall all instances and install a new instance of your new version.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

jfree

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Yes, I understand that the Product Code needs to be changed for major upgrades. I was doing a minor update from version x.x.1 to x.x.2. I am definitely able to manage the installed instances independently and choose the one(s) that I want to apply the minor upgrade to.The problem is that I DO NOT want to apply the minor update to any of the previously installed instances and be able to install a new instance of the updated install version of my application. Currently I am forced to apply the minor update to my first instance (#0) before I can do so successfully. That's the only limitation in this scenario. Seems like a bug to me.

If I were doing a major upgrade, I still need to be able to install new instances side-by-side with the previous version(s). For example I have the following instances installed:
1.0.0#1
1.0.0#2

I create a new version 2.0.0 with a new ProductCode. If I try to install version 2.0.0 side-by-side with my 1.0.0 versions, are you saying that this cannot be done even if I use the "Allow side by side install of different product versions" option when I build the original 1.0.0 install program? That sounds like a pretty severe limitation as we will have customers that install newer product versions along side previous product versions for testing purposes before deciding to roll out official upgrades to new major versions of our software. They would need to have a setup like this:
1.0.0 (in production)
1.0.0#1 (in production)
1.0.0#2 (in production)
2.0.0 (for trial\testing)
2.0.0#1 (for trial\testing)

GabrielBarbu

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 am

Hello,

Multiple instances side by side with minor updates are not supported. Side by side only works with major upgrades. There are two supported behaviors:
- you can either use a small update to update already existing instances
- or you can use a major upgrade and install side by side (side by side installation needs to be enabled for both versions, the upgraded one and the target one)

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

rn-pro

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi,

As far as I know starting with the version 8.6 (October 2011) there is a bug fix called:
"Maintenance dialogs for multiple instances were not handled correctly"

I could create a little test project in which "Multiple Instances side by side with minor updates" seems to work now.
Could you please tell us if the following sentences von GabrielBarbu are still correct or something changed up until the version 8.9 ?
Multiple instances side by side with minor updates are not supported. Side by side only works with major upgrades. There are two supported behaviors:
- you can either use a small update to update already existing instances
- or you can use a major upgrade and install side by side (side by side installation needs to be enabled for both versions, the upgraded one and the target one)
Thank you very much,
rn-pro

mihai.petcu

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 am

Hello Razvan,
"Maintenance dialogs for multiple instances were not handled correctly"
This bug fix was in reference to some unintuitive maintenance dialog text.
I could create a little test project in which "Multiple Instances side by side with minor updates" seems to work now.
From what I know in your other posts, you are authoring a major upgrade scenario( ProductCode changed between versions ). My colleague was referring to minor updates( same ProductCode ).

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team

rn-pro

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Mihai,
From what I know in your other posts, you are authoring a major upgrade scenario( ProductCode changed between versions ).
that's true, but there seems to be a problem there (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... 507#p50427) and that's why I was looking what else could I offer to our customers.

So I've really tested a minor upgrade (without product change.)

All the best,
rn-pro

rn-pro

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi,

I've checked one more time my test-project and seems that only the installation of new instances is done properly.
Existing instances are not correctly upgraded. So my first question is clear, this scenario is still not supported.

Thank you very much,
rn-pro

mihai.petcu

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Razvan,
Existing instances are not correctly upgraded.
This shouldn't be an issue. Can you please give us more details so we can investigate?

In a related matter, if you are sharing components between instances, you can try to have different GUIDs for each instance ( Media page -> Multiple Instances tab -> instance Components tab ).

All the best,
Mihai

rn-pro

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 am

Hi Mihai,

as attachment is my little test project. Nothing special, "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" option is activated and multiple instances are configured.
The version 1.0 installs only a file test1.txt. I've built the setup and installed the default instance and instance #2. Everything went fine.

After this, I removed the test1.txt file and added the test2.txt file instead of it.
Version set to 2.0 and answered with "Patch" (I want a minor upgrade).
Setup built again, a new instance was installed correctly but trying to upgrade an existing instance (#2), I don't get any error message, everything seems to be fine, but in the folder of instance #2 is still the old file test1.txt!

With best regards,
rn-pro
Attachments
MinorUpgradeSideBySide.aip
Test project
(13.41KiB)Downloaded 433 times

mihai.petcu

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Razvan,
Version set to 2.0 and answered with "Patch" (I want a minor upgrade).
By choosing this option when increasing the product version you only assure the product code is not changed between version so you can author a patch project.

To author a patch project you can follow our tutorial.
Also, you may find this patch vs major upgrade article helpful.

All the best,
Mihai

Return to “Common Problems”