mentalmushroom

Download and Install Optional Third-party Applications

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 am

Hello, I don't find any explanation on how can I create the feature that is not installed as a file from the package, but downloaded from the web-site. It is not a prerequisite, rather an extension. I'd a like a user to be able to check/uncheck this feature (the same like an ordinary feature) and then, if checked, it should be downloaded and installed.

I've found a workaround for that using prerequisite install conditions, so I created an empty feature with the certain product code, that I check if installed to decide whether to download the third-party component. It would be better to be able to create install conditions based on properties and features check (I don't see any way to do that so far). Also I don't see any description about what feature is being installed at the moment: only the empty window with progress bar.
No milk today

mentalmushroom

Re: Download and Install Optional Third-party Applications

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Apologize, seems like prerequisite selection control does what I need. So another question: how to show the prerequisite description (same like feature description, but it seems doesn't work when using prerequisite selector - only with feature selection tree)? Also is it possible to show what is being downloaded or installed, so a user won't get confused installation takes longer than usually?
No milk today

Cosmin

Re: Download and Install Optional Third-party Applications

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 am

Hi,
how to show the prerequisite description (same like feature description, but it seems doesn't work when using prerequisite selector - only with feature selection tree)?
I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer. Only a feature selection tree control can show a description for the selected item.
Also is it possible to show what is being downloaded or installed, so a user won't get confused installation takes longer than usually?
Unfortunately this is also not supported by Windows Installer. The prerequisite download is performed by an action in sequence and only that action can have a status text. So if multiple prerequisites need to be downloaded, the same action text is displayed for all of them.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”