rscaster

Installing filesystem driver

Hi,

I'm trying to install a filesystem driver, but it seems I'm missing something important.

I have a working .ini file which installs the driver properly when invoked from Windows Explorer. According to the Advanced Installer help and some topics here I tried the following steps to make a driver installation to no avail:

1. I added the .sys and .inf files to "Files and Folders". It seemed logical to me to add them to "system32\drivers", but I followed the instructions in the help stating that I should not do this manually, so I put them to the "Application Folder". When later executed, the AI installation put them in my application folder which wasn't what I wanted, I just needed them for the next step of the installation. Should I put the files in "system32\drivers" although the help says otherwise??
2. I chose "Drivers" and I added the .inf file. In "Organization" everything seemed OK.
3. I built the installation and ran it.

The result:
The .inf and .sys files were copied to my application folder!? The .sys file was missing in "system32\drivers", while the .inf file was also placed in a folder below "system32\DRVSTORE".

I think the problem has something to do with the following lines in AI logs:

DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
DIFXAPP: INFO: Copied 'test1.inf' to driver store...
DIFXAPP: INFO: Commiting queue...
DIFXAPP: INFO: Installing INF file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\test1_970819E3000EE5B2A2782E9617D86DF89409FB6F\test1.inf" of Type 6.
DIFXAPP: WARNING:No device Ids found in INF 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\test1_970819E3000EE5B2A2782E9617D86DF89409FB6F\test1.inf' for current platform.
DIFXAPP: SUCCESS:Installation completed with code 0xE0000301.
DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE0000301)
DIFXAPP: WARNING no device Ids found in driver package 'C:\Program Files\Your Company\Your Application\test1.inf' for current platform.
DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageGetPathW
DIFXAPP: SUCCESS:Found driver store entry.
DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW (0x7A)
DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageGetPathW
DIFXAPP: SUCCESS:Found driver store entry.
DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW (0x0)
DIFXAPP: A reboot is not needed to install the component '{E068D026-BF6A-473B-B639-FB4AB9389C51}'.

Any help will be appreciated.
gigi

Hi,

Please try to add the driver using the "Wizards->Driver..." menu option (the files are automatically added to appropriate folders).

Please let me know if the problem persist.

Best Regards,
Gigi
rscaster

Hi,

I tried to add the driver using the wizard with the same result.

The wizard added the .inf and .sys files to a subdirectory under "Application Folder", a new driver in "Drivers" and a new "feature" in "Organization". After the installation the two files were again in my application folder, while the .sys file wasn't copied to "system32\drivers" and the service was not registered.

If you want I may attach the .inf file and full AI logs.

Thanks in advance for the help and best regards.
gigi

Hi,

Advanced Installer Windows Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) to install the drivers which is designed for installing Software First Install drivers. These are the drivers that come with your application, e.g. an antivirus filter for the network adapter. It is not recommended to use it for installing Hardware First Install type of drivers, e.g. a driver for your sound card. DIFx is in charge to copy the .sys file to "system32\drivers".

However if the problem persist please send a zipped archive containing the following files to support at advancedinstaller dot com:

* the .AIP project file, if it doesn't contain any confidential information or a similar, simplified project reproducing the issue
* the .inf driver file
* the log of running the created MSI

They will help us greatly to provide a solution in the shortest possible time.

Best Regards,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”