PeterSteele

Problem installing/uninstalling

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:03 pm

I've got myself in an odd state. I'm evaluating Advanced Installer and I created an initial version of a test app installer and that worked okay. I then made some mods and went to install the new version. It complains that there is already a version of the product installed and tells me to remove it via the control panel before continuing. When I go to the control panel I can locate my test app, however there is no "remove" button associated with it. There are no buttons at all in fact. So I can't install a new version and I can't uninstall the old version. My intent was to have the product be able to be updated without having to uninstall the old version. I set the Add/Remove Panel options to include all three of the optional buttons so I'm not sure why none show up. I also checked the option to automatically upgrade older versions of the product.

So I'm stuck. How do I get this resolved?

PeterSteele

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:14 pm

Okay, so I got the problem half solved. I discovered that I need to update the product code for the automatic update to work. But I still don't see any buttons at all in the Add/Remove control panel. ???

Cata

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:36 am

The only way that should happen is if you check the Disable Modify, Disable Repair and Disable Remove boxes in the Install Parameters page.

Otherwise, please send me the two MSIs (to support at advanced installer dot com) so I can reproduce this problem.

To uninstall a product by hand call "msiexec.exe /x [ProductCode]" from the command line. You can find out the ProductCode from the AIP file.

Hope this helps,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”