ramesh513

Upgrade Version In Control panel

HI All ,

I am new to Advanced installer , I created .msi file using Advanced Installer 11.0 . When i try to change new version , I changed version number and build .msi file and I installed the new version , but in my system Control Panel , I saw Older version , New Version both , the older one was not uninstalled , I selected "Automaticallu Upgrade Older Product Version " in Upgrade Section . Could any one help us ?

Thank you .
Dan

Re: Upgrade Version In Control panel

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

When performing an upgrade, you may encounter the case where the old installation package is left behind and the new package is listed side by side with the old one in the Pragrams and Features list. This may happens if the previous version of the installation package is not detected.

In order to have a better view about this, can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ramesh513

Thank you Dan for your response to my query .
Dan , In Advanced Installer , I selected Option that is " Use wizard to create project " and every time I am selecting simple Project in Generic Templates , every time i am creating new project with version number change . And before build I am click on Upgrade section and selecting "Automatically Upgrade Older Product Version " Option. Then I build the project and installing the .msi file, but i can see Old and newer one in control panel in my system . Is it possible to upgrade with Simple Project .
How the new version detect Older version Dan ? Could we have to set any property while creating New Project ? or Is it not a correct way to create new project every time , for Upgrade ? please Help Us .
ales.hrodek

Hi ramesh,

Your issue looks like mine. See: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =5&t=28917

Problematic is combination of Install new version first and then uninstall old version and Override Windows Installer programs list entry. I registry is created record with version in key which is not removed. My solution is change this key to product but not version specific (eg. Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AI_[UpgradeCode]) in Table Editor. Upgrade process then overwrite previous value rather then add new one. I suggest this solution to be applied in future version of AI (if there are no downsides which I cannot see).

Is this also your case?
Dan

Hi Ramesh,

A set of different versions of your application must have the same UpgradeCode. The UpgradeCode is a GUID representing a related set of products. This enables newer versions of your application to search and upgrade previous versions installed on the same computer. Please take a look on the Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode) article which may be useful to you.

In the Product IDs Tab from the Product Details view you can see if the installation packages are using the same UpgradeCode. If they are different, then this is why the upgrade is not performed. Just simply use the UpgradeCode of the old version in the new version too, so that the new version of your installation package detect the old one.

If this is not you case, please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

@alex.hrodek Thank you for your reply. However, I don't think this is the case for Ramesh. Most likely he is using different UpgradesCode for his installation package.

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
ramesh513

]Hi Ales and Dan ,

I didn't find Upgrade Code section , while i create project .

I attached a document , how am doing , could you please take a look once , if i am doing anything wrong please let me inform .
Attachments
Advanced Installer Procedure.7z
Procedure to create .MSI
(756.24 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Dan

Hi Ramesh,

Indeed, the Product IDs Tab from the Product Details view is not available in the freeware version. So you cannot manually add the Upgrade code.

Please note that when creating a new project, a different GUID is assigned to the UpgradeCode property. I thing you can open the new .AIP(project file) with a text editor and replace the value of the UpgradeCode property with the one from your older version of the project. e.g. copy the value of the UpgradeCode property from the older project in the new project.

Also, in order to handle the updates in a freeware version of Advanced Installer you can take a look on the Change product version step. Please take a look on the Simple Installation article which will guide you step by step through the creation of a simple Advanced Installer project from scratch and building it in order to obtain a MSI package. It is addressed to those who have no previous experience in using the Advanced Installer application.

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
ramesh513

Hi Dan ,

With in the link sent by you , i would like add file in Application folder, But my doubt is what information we have to provide in .txt file ? Could you please send me any example file to add in ApplicationFolder .
ramesh513

Hi Dan ,

By doing this way , where should i add my project executable file , In advanced installer .
Dan

Hi Ramesh,

You can add your project files in the Application Folder view.

However, you can go in the Files and Folders view after you created your project using the Wizard and see the project structure. Then, try to replicate the structure in the new project when no Wizard is used.

Best regards,
Dan
ramesh513

HI Am copying older project upgrade code into new project(.aip) file with opening in notepad . but even still i am seeing multiple versions in control panel .
Dan

Hi Ramesh,

Please create a verbose log of the installation process when performing an upgrade and in the log you can check why an upgrade is not performed.

If you need any help, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
ramesh513

How could i create verbose log
Dan

Hi,

For creating a verbose installation log, you can use a command line which looks like this for .MSI packages:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "C:\MyPackage\Example.msi" /L*V "C:\log\example.log"
and the following for .EXE packages:

Code: Select all

mySetup.exe /L*V "C:\log\example.log"
For details, please take a look on the How do I create an installation log? article with related information for hints and guidance.

Best regards,
Dan
ramesh513

Hi I created new project and before build i changed version number and clicked on Generate New ProductCode .Then i went to .aip project file and i copied old version upgrade code and paste in latest .aip file and i build it , and when i look into upgrade code the upgrade code changed . again i copied olader version Upgrade code and again build this time the upgrade code in older version and latest version are same now .

I run below command from commandprompt

msiexec /i "C:\Users\Manamu\Documents\Advanced Installer\Projects\MPower 28\Setup Files\MPower.msi" L*V "C:\Users\Manamu\Documents\Advanced Installer\Projects\MPower 28\Setup Files\Installationlog.log"

but the msi was not installed i am still seeing older version in control panel . when i open logfile it was empty . where am doing wrong , suggest me .

Return to “Building Installers”