Corrupter

same files installed to multiple directories referred in reg

I am trying to install a folder to multiple folders referenced in the registry. Currently i've searched the according registry values and have them set as referenced to a folder. This part works fine as it correctly finds and refers to the directories. Next i added my sub folder references as this folder i am installing is not in the root of the folder in registry but a few folders under. I THINK i did this right by adding the referenced search to a new property in the Install Parameters area to do something like this.

If my search reference is called [darkloc] and refers to this directory C:\Dark\

And i need to install to C:\Dark\news\mods\ i simply made a new property called

[darkmod] that the value is [darkloc]\news\mods\

i also have a search refering to a registry key labeled light which is refering to an install at C:\Light\ and made an according property key

[lightmod] that the valuie is [lightloc]\news\mods\

now i have my default appdir installing to darkmod

and in the files area i made a new folder linked to the property lightmod and tried to sync it to the same folder that the darkmod install uses to install. I have 2 features created.

I am getting errors when i try to sync and a vb error. this is a fresh install with a fresh windows installation and all required dependencies.

If this was at all confusing to you let me simply tell you what i am trying to acheive and perhaps you can describe a better way to me or one that is not bugged or broken.

i would like to install the same files to multiple directories on a machine, those directories need to be linked to a registry key that another program created, however i would like to minimize my install file size as best as possible. each install directory thats linked needs to be customizable just in case the user has multiple installs on multiple drives and its only finding one registry key that might be old or incorrect.

When the program is uninstalled they need to have the option to remove only 1 feature or all. (which i think is there by default)

Hope this made some sense to someone. If you need to ask me questions fire away, i'm very willing to get this solved and i would also be willing to perhaps write a tutorial for other users so that they might be able to benefit from this knowledge.

btw i did search the forums for an answer but didnt find anything remotely close to the errors im getting or solution i need. Thanks in advance.

~ Corrupter
gigi

Hi,

The default value for a property in the "Install Parameters" page is taken as plain text, it is not resolved as msi formatted. So you can not initialize a property with the value of other property in the "Install Parameters" page.

After you create a registry searches switch to "Files and Folders" page and create a "Property Based" folder with the property of the search ([darkloc]). Now you can add a new regular folder for \news\mods\ in the "Property Based" folder just created.

Hope this helps. If you encounter any problems please let me know.

Best Regards,
Gigi
Corrupter

what im sort of referring to though is,

When you choose a custom installation, it allows you to specify which folder your pointing to. When you change that folder, it changes all the folder features install directories to the one you choose.
Corrupter

let me try to be clear

I currently have 2 features. and in these features there are 2 components. One is a shared component from the first. the second is the reference to the folder to which it is supposed to install. so it looks something like this.

Light Mod
+APPDIR
+maps.dds

Dark Mod
+mod_folder
+maps.dds

the problem is, since the maps.dds is a shared component it has a default install directory of APPDIR\maps and cant be changed, or atleast if it can, i cant find it. in the files area, if i copy the folder maps down to the Dark Mod folder i made there, it doubles my installation size file. To me this seems a waste as its just an exact copy of the files installed from the light mod to the dark mod. does this make sense? i hope it does, if not i'll take screen shots and host them on my website for you to see what i see.
gigi

Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't fully understand what you are trying to say. Could you please give more details?

Best Regards,
Gigi
Corrupter

ok, lets try this =)

ok, i will try to explain it here best i can and i will also provide a picture explanation as well.

I have 2 features. each feature has a shared component. Since the component is shared the directory it is installed to is the same. I want to change the directory the shared component in my second feature is installed to.

If that doesnt help you, then take a look here and see if this makes any sense to you. i took some screen shots of my project and i hope these help.

http://www.doom-majesty.org/avhelp/forgigi.html
gigi

Hi,

To copy a file to multiple directories use "File Duplicate" operation from the "Files and Folders" page. For more help about file operations please see:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... tions.html

For example to duplicate a file from "maps" folder to DARKLOC folder select the DARKLOC and choose "File Duplicate" from the "New File Operation" toolbar menu and choose the file you want to duplicate.

You need to do this for all files you want to duplicate.

Please let me know if it's something that you don't understand.

Best Regards,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”