rlindberg

Can't Stop & Restart "Print Spooler" Service d

I am having trouble stopping and starting the print spooler service during the install package.

When I run the package I get the following error:

Product: printer OCE 2090 PS - CENTER v3.2 -- Error 1920. Service 'Print Spooler' (Print Spooler) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

In the Installer package I am doing the following:
o Setting the registry settings to create the printer ports
o I usa a Control Operation with Stop Checked in Event on Install
Service Name is set to Print Spooler
Attached Component is set to the first Registry Entry
o I then use another Control Operation with Start Checked in Event on Install
Service Name is set to Print Spooler
Attached Component is set to the last Registry Entry
o Lastly I have a Custom Action in the Commit with no impersonation to install the printer drivers and printer.
(I also tried this with impersonation - no difference, still can't stop and start the services.)

All works except the start and stop of the service... so the printer driver will fail install on some PC's because it will not yet see the port I created with the registry entires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
gigi

Hi Rick,
Lastly I have a Custom Action in the Commit with no impersonation to install the printer drivers and printer.
The service name for "Print Spooler" is Spooler. So in the "Services" page for control operation type Spooler in the "Service Name" field.

Let me know if the problem persist.

Regards,
Gigi
rlindberg

using "Spooler" works but need to time service res

Calling the service "Spooler" does allow the service to restart.

Now I just need to get the service restarting prior to the execution of my custom action under the commit section which installs the printer driver.

The Spooler restart allows the recognition of the newly created port that must be seen for the printer driver install to complete.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
gigi

Hi Rick,
Now I just need to get the service restarting prior to the execution of my custom action under the commit section which installs the printer driver.
A service is started when the "StartServices" standard action is reached and it is stopped under "StopServices" action. Use "Show Standard Action" toolbar menu option to make a standard action visible.

I don't fully understand when that custom action needs to be executed? Because the "Commit" section is executed after those actions (at the end of the installation) which means the service is restarted prior the CA execution. You can read more about custom actions here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -page.html

Regards,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”