Uniwares_AS

Error 1923 installing a Service

Hi, the package I created does install a service as a component, anyway installation always fails with the following:

Product: PRODUCTNAME -- Error 1923. Service 'PRODUCTNAME Service' (PRODUCTNAME Service) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

It is not a question of priviledges as far as I can tell, user is admin, same error under W2k and WXP and W2003 Server.

The service installs without problems using a VisualStudio install package.

Any ideas?
Cosmin

Hi,

Note that the name of a service cannot contain properties that are not formatted (for example "[PRODUCTNAME]" instead of "PRODUCTNAME") and it cannot contain blank spaces.

We have a tutorial for creating a service installation, please take a look:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rvice.html

If the problem persists then please send us the AIP (if it doesn't contain confidential information) or a small test case reproducing this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Uniwares_AS

PRODUCTNAME does not refer to the property but is the actual service name as it appears in the eventlog entry (so please substitute PRODUCTNAME with MYDUMMYSERVICE or whatever).

All the steps of the tutorial - as far as they apply - are followed.

And sorry for posting in the wrong forum, not sure why it ended up here.
Uniwares_AS

Resolved and a feature request

If it is required to install a service under a specific limited account like the NetworkService account, the installer has to follow these steps
1) create a customaction for each OS that needs a different account name
2) set SERVICEACCOUNT to the account name for the OS in a CostFinalize custom action
the names are: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for Windows 2000, NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE for Windows XP/2003
3) if the service needs the "allow interact with the desktop" flag, it MUST run under the LocalSystem account (thus the account name has to be left empty or set to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM)
4) add [SERVICEACCOUNT] to the account name field under Services
5) in any case, for the built-in service accounts like NetworkService, LocalService, LocalSystem, the password field is ignored and can be left empty

Any other setting leads to error 1923 (or in sequence to 1920) during installation without any hint. An invalid account name is reported as an error during installation and gives the option to wait for the account to be created and retry.

Ok, and now comes the feature request: AI could automatically disable the account name/password fields when the "allow service to interact with desktop" is checked. Saves some people some time probably.
Cosmin

Hi,

We will consider including this feature in a future version of Advanced Installer.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
bjk68

Re: Error 1923 installing a Service

Today I got the 1923 error which says I don't have privilege to install services. I followed all the steps in the help pages http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rvice.html to add the SeServiceLogonRight to the custom user. But again the installation failed with the 1923 error. I verified that the checkbox at "Allow the service to interact with the desktop" was unchecked. But still no success.

Finally I found what the problem was: The installer tried to install a service that already existed on the system. You don't expect to get the 1923 "insufficient privilege" error when the service already exists.

The previous release of this service had been installed by hand, and now we are building an installer to upgrade this service. This first version of the installer for this service has of course no upgrade functionality, because it is unaware of the previously installed service. So we should have uninstalled the previous version of the service by hand before trying to install the next version of the service with an installer.

Lessons learned.
mchristianson

bjk68 wrote:Finally I found what the problem was: The installer tried to install a service that already existed on the system. You don't expect to get the 1923 "insufficient privilege" error when the service already exists.
I just ran into this problem and only spent a few minutes rather than hours trying to investigate and solve the problem because of this message.

Thank you!
MLiss@Cetrus.com

Me too... thanks !
alco

Thanks for this! In my case, there was a broken service that had the same name from a previous broken install. It was a head-scratcher until I stumbled upon this post.
Catalin

You are always welcome, Albert!

Glad to hear this post has helped.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”