kkkwj

Add Wizard for NET 6 Projects not just for NET Framework projects

Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:04 am

The opening AI screen (File, New, MSI, ...) shows choices for a variety of project types such as Visual Studio Application, .NET Application, VBA Application, and so on.

But it does not provide a choice for "NET Core/6/7" Application, even though NET Core and NET 6 have been out and available for a few years. Since NET 6/7 are the future development path, it would be nice to have an AI choice that would set the defaults for those projects.

As it stands (AI v20.2.1), I think if I pick a NET Framework option, the prerequisite choices do not even include NET 6 options.

Catalin

Re: Add Wizard for NET 6 Projects not just for NET Framework projects

Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 pm

Hello,

I have added this on our TODO list of improvements and hopefully it will be implemented in a future version of Advanced Installer.

However, please note that its' priority is really low as you are the only customer who have requested this so far.

Additionally, please note that you can create a new project and simply add the NET6 as a prerequisite - it's even easier than with the template :) .

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

kkkwj

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:37 pm

Hi Catalin, I agree with you that it is possible to make a NET6 project by picking a requisite.

But you cannot do that if you start with the NET Framework choice in the wizard - it only gave me Framework versions to choose from, and I had to start over again and avoid the NET Framework wizard.

My request was only that your New Project list be symmetric - if you offer NET Framework, why not offer the NET6/7 option, which is the roadmap going forward? Newbies can get trapped in the NET Framework like I did when I was trying things out to find easier ways to build new projects.

And for what it is worth, I understand your caution that I'm the only one who has requested it. But that just means I'm the only one who has taken the time to post here to encourage you to fix your UI to be consistent and more helpful. It also means that everyone else who builds NET6 projects (and there must be MANY of them) uses the workaround. Just like I do, of course.

Catalin

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 am

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I have tried testing this and from what I can see, I can add all the packages from a normal project as prerequisites when creating a project with the ".NET Application" template.

Could you please give me perhaps a test-case on how to reproduce this on my end as well?

As previously mentioned, I have already added this on our TODO list of improvements.

Once this will be added in Advanced Installer, I will make sure to update this thread.

Best regards,
Catalin

seba.netventure

Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:09 am

Catalin wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 pm
However, please note that its' priority is really low as you are the only customer who have requested this so far.
Ahaha that's a good one!
So instead of just supporting the frameworks as they grow, you wait for the users to come by and ask you, and you COUNT them...
That sounds like you're working Behind Of Time.
If you are working only for your existing users that means that you are loosing all the new user which are, like it's supposed to be, working with .net >= 6.0

Please, could you please do the following:
customerThatWantsDotNet6Support++

Thanks a lot.
Sebastiano

Catalin

Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:43 am

Hello Sebastiano and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your feedback here!

We would love to add all the features our customers request as soon as possible, but unfortunately that is not possible. This is something we have to live with considering the hundreds/thousands of combined feature requests/improvements.
Please, could you please do the following:
customerThatWantsDotNet6Support++
Sure thing, I have added your request in our bug tracking tool and increased the priority.

Once this will be added in Advanced Installer, I will update this thread.

Thank you for your understanding!
If you are working only for your existing users that means that you are loosing all the new user which are, like it's supposed to be, working with .net >= 6.0
Regarding this, please note that .NET v6+ is available as a prerequisite in Advanced Installer already.
Screenshot_136.png
Screenshot_136.png (21.25KiB)Viewed 22209 times
Is there anything you're trying to achieve right now that you can not? If you could give me some details about your scenario, perhaps I would be able to assist you here.

Best regards,
Catalin

jara

Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:09 pm

I believe this is what this is about...(see image)

https://imgur.com/a/cZWM5a5

Catalin

Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:33 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your followup on this!

Please note that we already have that on our TODO list of improvements.

I will update this thread as soon as this will be implemented in Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Feature Requests”