stasokhvat

View webpage rather than readme file on exit dialog

Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:03 am

Hi,
I am using the Pro version. I am wondering whether it is possible to change "View readme file" checkbox on the exit dialog to a more general "View readme" or something similar, and allow the use of a hyperlink rather than a readme file in RTF format? This way, the introductory readme information can simply be placed on the website where it will always be up to date.
I understand that I can achieve this by a custom action -- displaying a dialog when the installer is exited, asking whether to go to a readme page, or simply taking the user straight to that page. But I think that the checkbox on the last page is a more elegant approach.
Thanks!
Stanislav

Catalin

Re: View webpage rather than readme file on exit dialog

Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:31 am

Hello Stanislav and welcome to our forums,
and allow the use of a hyperlink rather than a readme file in RTF format? This way, the introductory readme information can simply be placed on the website where it will always be up to date.
This would be possible starting with the Enterprise edition of Advanced Installer, through the "Dialog Editor" feature.

On the Professional edition, the only option available would be to schedule the Custom Action at the end of the installation that shows the website with the ReadMe file.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

stasokhvat

Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm

Hello Catalin,

Yes, I understand that the Enterprise edition can do that, but it's way too expensive for an independent developer like me, especially if I don't really need to edit dialogs apart from this option.
However, I am proposing to provide options as to where the readme file / guide is located - on the web or in an installed file - and also support more formats than just the RTF format. The way things are now, I can only put the guide inside an RTF file, and this is a very outdate approach now that documentation is authored online and hardly anyone uses RTF format except for putting the text inside a Richtextedit control. If you implement this feature, the user would be able to specify either an installed file (PDF / RTF format) or a URL.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
Translation technology consulting, custom software development for LSPs, DTP services
https://www.translatortools.net

Catalin

Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:09 pm

Hello Stanislav,

Thank you for your followup on this and for the explanation!

I will add this on our TODO list of improvements and hopefully it will be implemented in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

michaelmsonne

Mon May 15, 2023 12:05 pm

Agree with Stanislav - most stuff is maintained online today and it will be nice with that build-in feature of Advanced Installer :)
Best ragards,
Michael

Catalin

Mon May 15, 2023 3:21 pm

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your feedback!

I will followup on this thread as soon as this improvement will be added in Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

michaelmsonne

Sun May 21, 2023 6:21 pm

Hi Catalin,

Nice - thanks for that! :D
Best ragards,
Michael

Catalin

Mon May 22, 2023 7:39 am

You're always welcome, Michael!

This has been implemented on our side and should be available within the next release. :D

I will update this thread when the new version will come out.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Mon May 29, 2023 11:11 am

Hello guys,

This improvement has been added in version 20.7 of Advanced Installer, released on May 25th, 2023.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Feature Requests”