rsimmons

Some of the updates failed to install properly

When using the automatic updater for advance installer I am able to download the msi update and install it but after the install completes I get an error message on the update stating Some of the updates failed to install properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Screen shot of failed install
Screen shot of failed install
Screen shot.jpg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 19042 times
Cosmin

Re: Some of the updates failed to install properly

Hi,

Any update defined in the Updates Configuration file uses a detection criteria. This criteria is usually a file or a registry entry which contains the package version. If it's not met after the update is installed, the Updater will show this message. Therefore, you need to make sure that you specified a correct file or registry entry in the Update Installed Detection tab of the Updates Properties page.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
moritz.fleischer

Hey,

we had the same issue. After installing the update packge (msi) with the updater.exe, it told us "Error: update installation failed".
After hours of investigation we found out that the "FileVersion" detection just didn't work.
Why can't the Updater.exe show more expressive error messages like "Error: There was a fileversion missmatch" or something similar.

Regards,
Moritz Fleischer
Cosmin

Hi Moritz,
After hours of investigation we found out that the "FileVersion" detection just didn't work.
That's strange. Can you please give me more details? Did you use a file installed by the update package?
Why can't the Updater.exe show more expressive error messages like "Error: There was a fileversion missmatch" or something similar.
Because the message will be seen by your users. A failed update message is friendlier than file or registry version comparisons.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Sameer

Hello Sir,

I am also getting similar error. Can you please have a look at my updates.ini file and let me know what's going wrong here:
;aiu;

[Update]
Name=CommodityAddin
ProductVersion=3.1.2
URL=http://localhost/Test/CommodityAddin.exe
Size=40940768
CommandLine=\checknow
ServerFileName=CommodityAddIn.exe
CustomDetection=http://localhost/Test/CommodityAddin.exe
CustomDetectionParams=\checknow

To give you a little briefing my local machine has version 3.1.1 and i have updated the ini file with the latest version 3.1.2.
Everything works fine and i also download the latest exe from server. But suddenly i get this error message "Some of the updates failed to install properly".
Can you please help?

Thanks,
Sam

Return to “Feature Requests”