pydna

Multiple Installs (pre reqs) within App-V Build

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi all,

apologies if Advanced Installer can already perform this task, I've only quickly skimmed through the tutorial on creating app-v apps from MSIs. With minimal effort I could create an app-v package, much easier than using the MS sequencer. Currently we have a large MSI library and are looking to convert them. However most require prereq applications. Our method is currently to include the prereqs within the sequenced pacakge.

For example.

App-V Package One, consists of main app, plus prereq app 1, prereq app 2.

This means that when the app fires up all information relevant to it's functioning is contained with it's virtual bubble.

I thought perhaps I could include all the filesets by Chaining, but so far this hasn't worked.

I will duplicate this post in other sections incase it is a lack of knowledge on my part.

cheers

Pydna

Bogdan

Re: Multiple Installs (pre reqs) within App-V Build

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Pydna,

I'm afraid our current version does not support prerequisites for App-V packages. What you can try is to bundle into your own package the resources installed by the prerequisites,
so you have only one package in the end.

You could bundle them by importing the MSI, or if you have an EXE, by using the Repackager.

My colleagues from development have added this improvement on their list and we hope to make it available as soon as possible.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

pydna

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the info. Early this morning I did manage to create an App-V build by importing all prereq MSI's, however whilst it installed it failed to launch correctly. However this could well be because it is the trial version so it won't launch the application.

Error is:

Unable to initialise package information (0x000000). Is this because I'm using the Trial Version?

I performed the test build with MSI's I have previously tested (and confirmed working) and successfully sequenced. Figured it would be easier to compare outputs, errors etc.

While I'm posting in the Features request page, it would be great if bundling of dependencies is supported. Also it would be good if when in the App-V Build window you could specify the drive letter where the VFS is deployed as our company has determined that Q:\ is the location.

Some sort of OSD editting features would be nice (although not urgent).

All in all, I have to say I'm impressed with the MSI side of Advanced Installer, if you can add more support for App-V you can really compete with with your much larger rivals.

Cheers

Pydna

Bogdan

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi,
Unable to initialise package information (0x000000). Is this because I'm using the Trial Version?
No limitations should be present while in trial period, we only insert some messages in your package, telling you the package was created with the trial version.
Probably something was not imported correctly. Please note that after importing some editing is required for the packages to work correctly.

Regarding the improvements, I've passed them to my colleagues from development, hopefully they can add them to Advanced Installer
as soon as possible.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”