Maverick

common progress bar for chained installs

What I have done is created a msi chain instalation in order to install a collection of other msi packages. Everything works ok this far.

Except one of the goals would be to display a common progress bar for all installs. At this moment I have a progress bar in the chainer installer but this is not showing any progress when installing the child msi files.

The childs are installed with basic and progress, but because Windows security behavior they are not shown in front of the main Window. Only blinking in Taskbar.

So it would be nice as a Feature Request to have a progress bar in the main setup showing that something happens. I already had some people who thought that the setup freezes because they did not recognize that the childs are running behind the Main Window.

Gary
Cosmin

Re: common progress bar for chained installs

Hi Gary,

For chained installations the main progress bar is controlled by Windows Installer. So there's not much we can do about it.
However, a solution would be to add your packages as feature-based prerequisites instead of chained packages. This way the progress will be more accurate.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Maverick

Hi Cosmin,

can I trick something , maybe a progressbar which is moving like "Knight Rider" or something else, just to show that the main setup does not freeze?

Maybe when the first chained installer starts then something starts moving. And that stops after the last chainer is installed. Must not be a correct progressbar. Just telling MainSetup is alive.

Gary
Cosmin

Hi Gary,

I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”