Brahnsuk

some suggestions for features

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 am

Hi,

here are some suggestions for feature in AI (maybe they are already available?):

- a wizard or function which create an exe of all launch conditions, searches, properties ..... of one project. That EXE could be copy on different test computers and see there result's. (like the "Test Search" button/function at the search page)

- maybe a wizard or function which you supports you to create an "clean-up/uninstall utility" (like something by anti vir software distributer or similar), could be helpfull by files which are changed after installation and should be removed...

- I don't know how many customer install their product based on another product, but maybe there is a need for a "universal (package) type", which will based on a software and/or a combination of a software and which windows platform(x86/x64) (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =5&t=29204)

Maybe there are some usefull hints for you.
Current Version of AI: 16.5

Eusebiu

Re: some suggestions for features

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:56 am

Hi,
- a wizard or function which create an exe of all launch conditions, searches, properties ..... of one project. That EXE could be copy on different test computers and see there result's. (like the "Test Search" button/function at the search page)
We'll consider your suggestion for adding this feature, but for the moment there are not immediate plans.
- maybe a wizard or function which you supports you to create an "clean-up/uninstall utility" (like something by anti vir software distributer or similar), could be helpfull by files which are changed after installation and should be removed...
This option is already available and can be found in the "Files and Folders" page when you right-click on a folder, it is called "Uninstall Cleanup".
- I don't know how many customer install their product based on another product, but maybe there is a need for a "universal (package) type", which will based on a software and/or a combination of a software and which windows platform(x86/x64) (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =5&t=29204)
We will investigate this, but I'm not sure if this is even possible in a Windows Installer package.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Brahnsuk

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Hey Eusebiu,

are there already some plans for the "Test wizard/function" (<- suggestion/improvment!)? this would make the "do i set everthing right, let's see" work so much easier ....

As you can read in the original post (see link in the first post), I've to check several installed versions of installed office applications in combinations with the windows bitness.... (also see this post http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =5&t=31293).
In the last weeks I investigated several times in the installer to find my problem why sometimes some features will not be installed.
One problem I guess _was_ that the name of searches are in uppercase letter saved. I wrote the name of the search in CamelCase letters in the "Installed if:" textbox and validated it with the wizard, which says all is fine! But I think there is maybe a problem if the name of a search or something else is not exactly written as it should. (<- suggestion/improvment!)

The second problem _is_ the text lenght of the 'Installed if:'-conditions of features in the organization-page (and maybe other textboxes).
At copy and paste the "formula" I realized that the text I pasted in is not complete. The maximum length are 255. At least 2 of my conditions are nearly 400 characters long. (<- suggestion/improvment!)
Now I'll try to convert the "formula" in a XML valid syntax and insert it directly with the notepad into the project file.....

All of this brings me to one of my original problem: 'searches for "only" windows 64-bit' (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =15#p82217) (<- suggestion/improvment!)

puuhhh.....
Current Version of AI: 16.5

Eusebiu

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi,
are there already some plans for the "Test wizard/function" (<- suggestion/improvment!)? this would make the "do i set everthing right, let's see" work so much easier ....
I might have missed this the last time we spoke, but in order to achieve this you can go in the "Dialogs" page and use the "Installation UI" toolbar button.
As you can read in the original post (see link in the first post), I've to check several installed versions of installed office applications in combinations with the windows bitness.... (also see this post http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =5&t=31293).
In the last weeks I investigated several times in the installer to find my problem why sometimes some features will not be installed.
One problem I guess _was_ that the name of searches are in uppercase letter saved. I wrote the name of the search in CamelCase letters in the "Installed if:" textbox and validated it with the wizard, which says all is fine! But I think there is maybe a problem if the name of a search or something else is not exactly written as it should. (<- suggestion/improvment!)
Please keep in mind that it is recommended to write your properties in uppercase letters when you want to use them during the installation stage. This is why all the searches defined in the "Search" page use uppercase letters, otherwise their updated values would not be passed from the UI stage to the Install stage.
The second problem _is_ the text lenght of the 'Installed if:'-conditions of features in the organization-page (and maybe other textboxes).
At copy and paste the "formula" I realized that the text I pasted in is not complete. The maximum length are 255. At least 2 of my conditions are nearly 400 characters long. (<- suggestion/improvment!)
Now I'll try to convert the "formula" in a XML valid syntax and insert it directly with the notepad into the project file.....
Please note that is is not recommended to modify the project manually (i.e. in a text editor) because it can get corrupted.

In order to be able to write your condition you can go in the "Custom Actions" page, create two "Set installer property" custom action that will set two other properties (i.e. FIRST_HALF, SECOND_HALF). One will be set to "True" if the first half of your long condition is true and the other will be set if the second half is true. Then you can use only those two properties in the "Organization" page.
All of this brings me to one of my original problem: 'searches for "only" windows 64-bit' (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =15#p82217) (<- suggestion/improvment!)
Can you please tell me exactly which problem reappeared?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”