codesynergy

A Few Feature Requests

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:14 am

Hi. I have a few feature requests I would like to submit.

- Support for the MinorUpdateTargetRTM property. This was requested years ago (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=7757), but I don't yet see it implemented. This seems like an odd omission, considering this was introduced way back with windows 3.1 (requiring patchwiz.dll V4.0). I believe this ties into the patch sequencing, and it affects cumulative patches. I know this property can be added post-build via Ocra, but this extra step shouldn't be needed. A simple checkbox that adds this property is all that is needed.

- Add component-like icons that represent merge modules to the "Organization" view. Currently, if you add a merge module to a feature, you can't see the merge module under the feature in the Organization view. So, it looks like the feature is empty. There should be some sort of icon that tells the user that there is a merge module attached to a specific feature and what the name of the merge module is. Installshield does this.

- Whenever you build a project with a bootstrapper, you are not allowed to launch the msi directly. There is a "LaunchCondition" that AI adds (automatically) to prevent launching the msi directly:

Code: Select all

SETUPEXEDIR OR (REMOVE="ALL") - This package can only be run from a bootstrapper.
It would be nice to have an option to remove this condition. Currently, you can edit out the condition post-build via Orca, or even remove the condition by editing the AI project file with notepad (though, sometimes AI adds the condition back in somehow). Not sure how common it is to launch the MSI directly when building a bootstrapper, but there are times I like to launch the MSI directly with custom parameters.

Thanks.

Dan

Re: A Few Feature Requests

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Hello,
Support for the MinorUpdateTargetRTM property.
Unfortunately, the improvement was postponed due to low priority. I'm afraid I cannot give you an ETA for this improvement at this moment. However, I increased its' priority and hopefully it will be available soon.
Add component-like icons that represent merge modules to the "Organization" view.
Thank you for your suggestion. I have added this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer.
- Whenever you build a project with a bootstrapper, you are not allowed to launch the msi directly. There is a "LaunchCondition" that AI adds (automatically) to prevent launching the msi directly:

SETUPEXEDIR OR (REMOVE="ALL") - This package can only be run from a bootstrapper.
Indeed, message is displayed by a launch condition that is automatically added at build-time in the EXE packages that are created with Advanced Installer 11.3 and later. It was added in order to prevent the incorrectly drawn User Interface that could be displayed when an MSI package was launched outside its related EXE setup file.

I have added an improvement on our TODO list to have an option to disable the launch condition.Thank you once again for all your suggestions.
Until then, you can set the SETUPEXEDIR property with any value in the InstallParameters page and there will be no launch condition prompt when running the MSI.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

codesynergy

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:25 pm

Any updates on when support for the "MinorUpdateTargetRTM" property might be added? If it's just a flag that's set in the MSI, it might be an easy/quick feature to add. Though, there's probably more to it than that :D

Thanks.

Daniel

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:49 am

Hello,

I'm afraid this improvement still has a pending status. Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Dan

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 14.5 of Advanced Installer released on November 27th, 2017.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

codesynergy

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:11 pm

This is great. Thank you!

Daniel

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 am

You are always welcome.

All the best,
Daniel

Daniel

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi,

Indeed, message is displayed by a launch condition that is automatically added at build-time in the EXE packages that are created with Advanced Installer 11.3 and later. It was added in order to prevent the incorrectly drawn User Interface that could be displayed when an MSI package was launched outside its related EXE setup file.

I have added an improvement on our TODO list to have an option to disable the launch condition.Thank you once again for all your suggestions.
Until then, you can set the SETUPEXEDIR property with any value in the InstallParameters page and there will be no launch condition prompt when running the MSI.
This improvement was added in version 16.4.1 of Advanced Installer released on October 8th, 2019.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Feature Requests”