ElRedjos

System environment path for AdvancedInstaller.com

Hello,

I use Visual Studio for all my development. In my project, I have a post build that runs Advanced Installer command lines to generate all merge modules and installers.
My problem is I have to hard code the path to AdvancedInstaller.com and the path contains the version I have on my computer. When I update with a new version of Advanced Installer, I have to modify all paths in my scripts.

I'm wondering, for the next release, if it is possible to create automatically a system environment variable that redirects to AdvancedInstaller.com exe. Thus, I will have to mention only the system environment in my script and it will save me a lot of times.

Regards
Jerome
Dan

Re: System environment path for AdvancedInstaller.com

Hi Jerome and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

We'll consider your suggestion for adding this feature, but for the moment there are not immediate plans. Thank you for your suggestion.

However, you can create a system environment on your machine that points to the installation folder.
If you don't perform a side by side installation of Advanced Installer and select the same installation path, you don't have to change the environment variable from a new version of Advanced Installer to another.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ElRedjos

Thank you for your tip to change the default installation path with a "more" generic path which doesn't change through the version. I will do it!

Regards
Jerome
Dan

You're welcome Jerome,

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
adamdc78

We've used an %AI_HOME% environment variable from perl scripts in the past but our continuous integration server would always need to be reset when updating that environment variable (we recently changed over to the more generic install path because of this).
Moskito

Hello,

I will like this Feature too. And it is easy to realize. Just put a fixed value in registry for all Versions. A Batch command can fetch it from there.

Horst
Dan

Hi Horst,

Unfortunately, since these are the only requests the improvement was postponed due to low priority. Perhaps in the future we will increase its priority, but for the moment there are not immediate plans.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,
Dan
Catalin

Hello,

This has been fixed in Advanced Installer 16.7, released on December 12th, 2020.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Feature Requests”