bmadden

Exporting ALL string as dictionary

Currently, you can only export strings that don't have translations into a new AIL file (so that translators can localize them). However, this prevents English strings that have been changed from being exported (if they are already translated). It would be nice to have the option to simply export all localizable strings into an AIL file, not just the strings that don't have translations. Then a user can compare that against a previous copy that they have, see if anything changed, and then update the translations accordingly.
Irina

Re: Exporting ALL string as dictionary

Hello,

I'm afraid we don't have support for this. Maybe we'll add this improvement in a future version of Advanced Installer thank you for your suggestion. However, since yours is the only request, implementing this has a very low priority for the moment.
Thank you for your understanding.

Regarding the comparison of AIL files, can you please give me a step by step use case so that I can see if there is a possible workaround?

Kind regards,
Irina
Ecaterina Irina Grosu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
silvayne

+1

Hello, I have the Enterprise edition of this software, and would really appreciate help on a similar though even more obscure problem.

Barring the option to export all strings, is there a way to at least find specific strings that do not appear to be any of the text dictionaries?

For example, the error which pops up whenever you try to launch two or more instances of an installer
Another instance of setup is already running.
is not in any of the following built-in dictionaries:
  1. ul.ail
  2. ul_en.ail
This is a blocker for my company releasing these installers, as they need to be localized across many locales, some of which have this translated (Greek), while others do not (Czech). How can I find a list of all installer strings, including those not in the built-in dictionaries? At the very least, how do I find this particular string id?

With regard to the suggestion to export untranslated strings, that only seems to be available for project strings, which is nowhere near a complete list even when all the options are checked.

Thanks in advance!

Silvayne
Daniel

Hello Silvayne and welcome to our forums,

I've noted down your request into this feature too. Thank you for your feedback.

As a side note, the "Another instance of setup is already running." message is not available to be translated and localized in our dictionary files. This is an error message which is kept by our EXE bootstrapper inside its binary. Maybe we'll expose our EXE bootstrapper proprietary strings in a future version of AI. Thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”