CoreyStup

Upgrade *and* downgrade options

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:42 pm

I would like to request that AI include the option to support downgrades. The procedure to modify an AI generated MSI to allow this to happen is http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=2746 but this is an annoying extra step that must be performed with an extra tool like Orca. We have to do these manual steps every time we generate a new MSI currently.

Requesting that AI have the option of allowing downgrades.

Daniel

Re: Upgrade *and* downgrade options

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your feedback. Even if it is very unlikely, maybe we will consider such an option (downgrade) to be included in Advanced Installer. Until then, as a workaround, you can use the workaround from our "uninstalling version if trying to install older version" thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

CoreyStup

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 pm

I'm aware of the manual workaround to handle downgrades (I posted something similar in my question). The workaround are extra steps that have to be remembered and performed (non automated). I guess I don't understand why a tool like AI wouldn't offer this as an option to people creating MSIs. Clearly there are times when it is completely appropriate to allow downgrades, no?

Daniel

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:22 am

Hello,

As I said, maybe we'll consider this improvement in the future, but for the moment I'm afraid there are no immediate plans for this.

Thank you once again for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel

CoreyStup

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Would like to upvote this again. Still needing the ability to downgrade without having to manually edit the MSI with Orca after AI creates it.

Daniel

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 am

Hello,

I'm afraid since we have a lot of work on our roadmap this improvement still has a low priority. Thank you for your understanding.

However, please note that you won't have to manually edit the MSI with Orca after building it. All you will have to do will be to use the Customize Advanced Installer upgrade rules option.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Feature Requests”