digocesar

Loading message on install startup

We are using a unique file to setup and when starting installer its take too many time until show the dialog to choose language option or the first screen. I suppose that in this time it is extracting file for temporary folder!
The problem is that user think that the installer is not starting, and try to open it again.
Should exist a dialog (better wit a progress bar!) alerting user to wait because installer is doing some startup process.
Dan

Re: Loading message on install startup

Hello,

The language selection dialog is displayed by the boostrapper, before the .MSI is launched for installation. Since the .MSI is not launched yet, there is no copy files operation performed (the temporary files are copied during the CostFinalize standard action from the .MSI). Can you please tell us if the behaviour can be replicated on multiple clean machines?

Also, in order to have a better view about this, you can send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it. If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
digocesar

In all machines there is a slow startup of installer until show the language selection dialog.
Log file is created only by msi file, after language dialog is showed.
We are using the Build option "Single EXE setup (resource inside)". When using "EXE setup with resources next to it" the installer startup is very fast!
So I ask: what is the difference between both options? Why first option take too many time to startup?
Dan

Hello,
So I ask: what is the difference between both options? Why first option take too many time to startup?
When the installation starts and the Single EXE setup (resources inside) package type is used, the boostrapper extracts the .MSI to the location specified in the Extract Location field.

When the EXE setup with resources next to it package type is used, no extract operation is performed.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
digocesar

That is what I was talking about!
Why AI can't show a progress bar of the msi extraction with a "loading..." message? With this message the user will know that setup process has already started and does not try to run it again!

Return to “Feature Requests”