narsingani

Check TCP port using existing property

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:39 am

Hello,

I have been working on this but do not see any way to use existing property as I am already requesting a user to enter SQL Server IP, Database name, Username, password and Port details during the installation process. It would be much easier if we can use the existing property for Check TCP port function as well. This could be the same for Host name or IP field as well.

Thanks!

Upendra

Eusebiu

Re: Check TCP port using existing property

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Upendra,

I'm afraid that I do not fully understand your scenario. Can you please give me more details (maybe exemplify)? Which properties do you want to use and where?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

narsingani

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:35 am

Hi Eusebiu,

During the installation process, I am requesting user to enter PORT(PORT_PROP) details which is going to be used by the borland socket server once the service is installed. So when I already have the port and Server details in my installation step, why can't I use the same Port details to check whether this port is available or not? Currently, when I try to use existing property from SQLConnectionDlg for TCP port check, it does not allow me to select any (Only accepts manually entered value). Please see attached screenshots.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Upendra
Attachments
CheckFreeTCPPort.JPG
CheckFreeTCPPort.JPG (25.7KiB)Viewed 5697 times
SQLConnectionDlgPORTProperties.JPG
SQLConnectionDlgPORTProperties.JPG (25.45KiB)Viewed 5697 times
SQLConnectionDlg.JPG
SQLConnectionDlg.JPG (31.53KiB)Viewed 5697 times

Eusebiu

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi Upendra,

Indeed, you cannot use a property in the "Check TCP Port" custom action. If you want to check for a port that the user types you need to use the predefined "AI_SEARCH_TCP_PORT" property instead of "PORT_PROP" or you can create a "Set installer property" custom action that sets the "AI_SEARCH_TCP_PORT" property to the value of the "PORT_PROP" property.

For more details you can take a look on the "How to get a free TCP port by using a custom action" tutorial.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”