AbelB

Add ability to support MacOS and/or Linux with Mono

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:12 pm

With Mono being used more and more and cross-platform development easier and easier, I had hoped that Advanced Installer allows to create Mono-based (dependency on Mono) packages/installers (PKG format) for MacOS, and/or a plain TAR.GZ for Linux/Unix.

Esp. the PKG and TAR.GZ formats seems straightforward and well-documented.

In a post on this forum Install .Net Windows application on MAC someone from the Advanced Installer team said it was being developed, but this was back in 2011 (!). He also states that the DMG format is not well-documented. While there exist implementations on creating DMG images on other systems, this is not relevant if you distribute the file over the internet, in which case MacOS takes care of storing it in the DMG format.

I would appreciate an update on the status of this endeavor. Currently we are using separate scripts for building a Mono-for-MacOS and a Mono-for-Linux package, but it would be much nicer if this were incorporated in Advanced Installer.

Daniel

Re: Add ability to support MacOS and/or Linux with Mono

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:18 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this new feature still has a pending status. I've added your feedback to ticket we have on our TODO list, but I'm afraid this new feature has a very low priority for the moment. Our development team have a lot of tasks on their plats so I cannot give you any estimate for this kind of feature for now.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

AbelB

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:23 pm

That's unfortunate. I can't decide on your priorities of course, but it seems to me that you would add a unique feature to your product, which is a good selling point: you might well become the first cross-platform installer tool for .NET applications.

I'd volunteer to help with the beta-testing of such feature. I hope it won't take another 5 years before someone tackles it. Even low prio issues shouldn't be on hold for half a decade, right?

Daniel

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:56 am

Hello Abel,

I agree with you that this kind of feature will be a great one and I'll try to bring it to the attention of our development team, hopefully with a resolution in due time. :)

Thank you for your beta-testing offer. We will update this thread as soon as I have updates on this.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”