yohanc

Custom action to launch file can run on both 32bit & 64bit system

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi folks,
I noticed that if I make my exe, with a custom action to launch/run a file (for this eg. I want to run my own .bat file), you must check or uncheck the "use 64 bit laucher" depend on the target computer wheter it use 32 bit or 64 bit system
So that means, I must make two kind of exe the 32 bit version & the 64 bit version version
so for eg. if the target computer use 64 bit system, he/she must install using the 64 bit exe so the custom action to run a file will without problem, and the same goes with the 32 bit

I don't want to make two kind version of my exe since my exe size is pretty big around 200mb
I just want to make an exe that can run on both 32 & 64 bit system

So is it possible to add this feature?
Or it is actually possible to make only a single version of exe that can run a custom action to run a file, on both 32 bit & 64 bit system?

Dan

Re: Custom action to launch file can run on both 32bit & 64bit system

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello,

In order to implement your scenario, you can select the Mixed 32/64-bit matching the platform option for the package type.
This package runs as a 32-bit package on 32-bit systems and as a 64-bit package on x64 systems. It allows you to have a single installation package that will install on both platform types (32-bit and 64-bit platforms) and can install files or registry in the real system paths regardless of the platform.

When the "Mixed 32/64-bit matching the platform" package type is selected in the Install Parameters page, then the wizard will launch and will guide you step by step through every stage required to organize your “Mixed 32/64-bit matching the platform” package.

You can condition the Launch File custom action through its Condition field by using the VersionNT64 property. For details please check the How do I install resources based on the Operating System version?.

Should there be any difficulty you encounter implementing something, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”