Jis

SUPPORTDIR folder conversion

Hi,

I am trying to convert our Installshield project to Advanced Installer.
Doubt1: Is there any easy option or a converter to perform this?
Doubt2: I am currently converting scripts in the Installscript part to vbs script to add them to the Advanced Installer. I have a script function which includes the SUPPORTDIR. How can I convert this to vbs script? I am not able to find SUPPORTDIR corresponding to Advanced installer.

Could someone please help me at the earliest.

Thanks in advance,
Jis.
Jis

Re: SUPPORTDIR folder conversion

Could someone please help me at the earliest.

Thanks in advance,
Jis.
Dan

Hello Jis,
Doubt1: Is there any easy option or a converter to perform this?
If your project is an InstallShield LE Project type, then you can import it in Advanced Installer. For this, you can select the Import -> InstallShield LE Project option from the Start page of Advanced Installer.

If this is not your case, I recommend you creating the project from scratch in Advanced Installer. Please take a look on our Creating a Professional Package article that will guide you step by step into the creation and customization of a Advanced Installer Professional project.
Doubt2: I am currently converting scripts in the Installscript part to vbs script to add them to the Advanced Installer. I have a script function which includes the SUPPORTDIR. How can I convert this to vbs script? I am not able to find SUPPORTDIR corresponding to Advanced installer.
The SUPPORTDIR is a folder on the target system into which the installer can copy temporary files and files that were compressed into your installation.

We do not have such a folder in Advanced Installer. However, can you please tell us what files you need to access withing this folder? Is there any file that is required by the setup package during installation?

If Yes, then you can add the related files as temporary files in the Files and Folders page. "Temporary Files" are copied on the target machine at the beginning of the installation and are deleted at the end of it, ensuring you have access to them throughout the entire install process.

If you encounter any difficulties in implementing your installation scenario just send us a description of your installation scenario and we will gladly try to guide you.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Jis

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response.

For the scenario2: I have an installscript that accesses a file in this temporary file. That is why I need this folder name.
This is the code I am using:
MsiGetProperty(hMSI, "SUPPORTDIR", szSupportDir, nLength);
svResult = szSupportDir ^ "ABC.lic";
szFile = INSTALLDIR ^ "ABC.lic";
CopyFile ( svResult, szFile );

I am trying to convert this code into vbcript for advanced installer.
Jis

Hi,

Dan, did you get a chance to look into this?
Can anyone help me out here.

Thanks in advance,
Jis
Dan

Hi Jis,

The files added as temporary files in the Files and Folders page are added in the Windows Volume -> Temporary.

The Temporary folder has the TempFolder property attached, which during installation it is resolved by the Windows Installer to the following path:
  • C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp -> Windows Server 2003 & Windows XP
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp -> on Vista and above
Please note that you can pass the path of any file in the Execute inline script code custom action through the Action Data field. This represents the value of the CustomActionData property.

The Action Data field is of Formatted Type and thus it can include references to files, folders and properties. You can use the below image for your reference:
RetrieveTempFile.png
RetrieveTempFile.png (19.53 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
When this custom action runs, it will display a message box with the full path of the file that has been added as a temporary file in the Files and Folders view. e.g.

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\myTempFile.exe
Please let me know if that helped, otherwise give me more details about your specific scenario.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”