karlf

Support for moving AI Project file

It would be nice if we could save a copy of a AIP file somewhere else and have all of the paths "work themselves out" so they aren't all broken when the new aip file is opened in the other location. Since all the paths are relative to the AIP file location, it would be very helpful for some functionality in Advanced Installer itself to let the user save a copy of their AIP file, or even move the aip file itself to another location, without having to worry about re-setting up all of the paths or setting up path variables.

Great piece of software with great support.
Thanks all
Eusebiu

Re: Support for moving AI Project file

Hi,

The files paths are stored by default as relative to the project file (AIP) if they reside on the same logical drive as the project. Otherwise, they are stored in absolute form. Check available options in the "Project Paths Tab" article.

So, when the project is moved to another location, it searches for its resources using relative paths and it may not find them.

In order to convert those paths, you can create a path variable for the parent folder/drive of the resources, then use the "Convert Paths" toolbar button to convert the resources' paths, so they will use that path variable. For example, if "MY_FOLDER" path variable stores the "D:\My folder" parent folder of the resources, the "D:\My folder\file.txt" file will be referenced as "<MY_FOLDER>file.txt" in the project.

In this case, you can move the project to any location an it will always find its resources using the path variable you created.

You can view how the Convert Paths Wizard works in the "Path variables in Advanced Installer" video.

Another solution is to use synchronized folders where you also have the option to set filters that will include/exclude files based on their extension or name.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”