samfogarty

How do I update license features without requiring them to manually re-register?

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 am

Hello,

If a company renews their subscription, we would like to be able to update license features quietly in the background, without the need for all their users to explicitly re-register - like, for example, if we change the expiration date of their license. We use the license server implementation - and so our application can see when that database has details that disagree with local information.

I have wondered for a while if it is possible to silently de-register and re-register without popping up the form for entering the serial key, and I can see that in newer releases there is now the RegisterLicense function accessible from the Trial.dll. However, it does not validate the license with the server - a step that it would seem to me, remains crucial, for it to get the latest license information.

Is there any way to use the RegisterLicense function and get it to also perform its usual online validation process? I don't know why the decision was made to behave differently. Pretty much I just want to be able to re-license a user programmatically. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sam.

Eusebiu

Re: How do I update license features without requiring them to manually re-register?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi Sam,

In order to silently register the license, you can user the "RegisterStr" function. Also, the application needs to be restarted for the license details to be updated. Can you try that and see if it helps?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

samfogarty

Re: How do I update license features without requiring them to manually re-register?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:36 am

Hi Eusebiu,

I meant to say that "RegisterStr" is already the function that I am attempt to use to silently re-register the application (when I have checked that there is a license discrepancy and wish it to be updated). However, it seems to behave quite differently from the other registrations functions (whereas all I am looking to do is avoid having the form pop up - I don't wish any of the other registration behaviour to change).
It does not update the server database like the other licensing functions.
When I run RegisterStr, despite it reporting success (return value = 0), it doesn't seemed to have pulled down the latest information from the server, or registered with the server, and then on restart, when I call InitTrialReturn, it always pops up the form indicating that it is now not licensed.
It seems completely broken to me.

Sam.

Daniel

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 am

Hello Sam,

Please note that when the "RegisterStr" function returns 0 it means that the (new) license was correctly saved on the local machine. However, it is important to know that this function doesn't perform the license validation so you should make sure that the license (passed as a parameter to this function) is valid. If it is not, then the license will be invalidated next time you initialize our trial module.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Hien

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:28 am

Hi support,

Further to the above question, using the RegisterStr function would register the license silently (not displaying the registration dialog which is good and that is what we are after), but at the same time, the function does not validate the license (quoted from Advanced Installer document). Is there a reason for that limitation? All we'd like to achieve is to do the exact same thing as the DisplayRegistrationStr function does, but no registration dialog popping up.

Please note that the license (passed as a parameter) to the RegisterStr function is valid, and yet, after the function is executed, it creates invalid registry settings (see attachment) and as a result, the license is invalidated next time we initialize your trial module.

Regards,
Hien
Attachments
ai.png
ai.png (4.65KiB)Viewed 6791 times

Daniel

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 am

Hello Hien,

Thank you for joining us on our forums.

The lack of license validation of our "RegisterStr" function is due to a limitation in the framework design of our "Licensing" feature.
Please note that the license (passed as a parameter) to the RegisterStr function is valid, and yet, after the function is executed, it creates invalid registry settings (see attachment) and as a result, the license is invalidated next time we initialize your trial module.
To further investigate this could you please send us your AIP (project file) and a small sample application (also sharing its source code if possible) which replicates this issue to support at advancedinstaller dot com? Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Feature Requests”