karlf

Support for updater locations per build

It would be very nice if AI could support having updater options be available per build. For example, I currently maintain 4 separate AI projects with the only difference between the 4 of them being the location that is pointed to for updates. This is so I can maintain a DEV/TEST/STAGE/PROD versions of my app and have different updates for each environment. I may want to provide an update to the test environment without providing an update to those that are looking at the prod environment. The only way I have found to deal with this so far is to maintain 4 identical .aip project files each pointing to a different updates location. It would be nice to be able to keep track of this all in 1 .aip file, since I need to make changes to 4 .aip files for each installer change that is necessary.

Also, I was wondering, as a workaround to this, is it possible to use the AdvancedInstaller.com from the command line to specify the updates location for both the pre-install and updates configuration file URL's at build time? Meaning I can pass in as an argument to the build what those URL's should be?

As always, thanks for all the help.
Eusebiu

Re: Support for updater locations per build

Hi,

In order to achieve this, you can use properties in the "Updates configuration file URL" fields, then set the appropriate values for them in the "Install Parameters" page (e.g. URLs to different configuration files for each build).

The updates configuration file URL can also be set through command line using the /SetUpdatesUrl <updates_url> command, but I'm afraid that this option is not available for the pre-install updates, too.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
karlf

Eusebiu,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to better understand your first suggestion, looking into properties seems to be promising, but I'm wondering 2 things:

1. Is there a way to swap out the values of both the Pre-install updates as well as the updates configuration file URL's at build time based on the type of build I'm running for the project? How can I do this?
2. If we set up these properties in order to do the above, will all of those values be in the final exe for the installer? Or just the one that has been chosen at build time?

Thanks again
Eusebiu

Hi,
1. Is there a way to swap out the values of both the Pre-install updates as well as the updates configuration file URL's at build time based on the type of build I'm running for the project? How can I do this?
In the "Install Parameters" page, you can set different property values for each build in the "Per Build Values" section.
2. If we set up these properties in order to do the above, will all of those values be in the final exe for the installer? Or just the one that has been chosen at build time?
Having more builds, you will also have more EXE files (one for each build), so each EXE file will contain only the value that was set for its corresponding build.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”