nextedge

Shortcut use installed icon

Hi,

Is there a method to use an installed ICO file for a shortcut?

From what i can work out we can only select a file from the file system to be attached to the shortcut which then gets saved into a path starting with %SystemRoot%\Installer\ ending with an exe file that appears to just contain an icon and cannot be executed.

Reason for this is we have a requirement for the shortcuts we create to refer to a location in common application data so that the application can change that icon pragmatically later to re-brand the application easily.

Basically the end result is the shortcut should refer to a path c:\ProgramData\<manufacturer>\<application>\<file>.ico which is installed as part of the installation files.

Please advise.
nextedge

Re: Shortcut use installed icon

An additional note to this, there appears to be a different in interface between the software & the help file..
Icon.jpg
Icon.jpg (241.7 KiB) Viewed 11899 times
Eusebiu

Hi,

I'm afraid that using an installed ico file for a shortcut is not supported. However, if you do not set any icon for a shortcut, it will inherit the icon from the file it references.

If you want to reference a file that is not contained by your package, you can create a shortcut to an "external file" instead.

Indeed, the screenshot from the help file is outdated. We will update this in the next version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
nextedge

May i enquire as to the reason it is not supported?
Eusebiu

Hi,

This was the way the shortcut support was designed from the beginning. Furthermore, using an installed ico file for a shortcut was never asked before and we do not consider that it would bring any advantage to this feature. Since that ico file can be added to the project to be installed, it can also be set for the shortcut.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
nextedge

Since that ico file can be added to the project to be installed, it can also be set for the shortcut.

I will dispute that statement, because that's exactly what we want to do. The issue is we cant "set" the added ico file for the shortcut.

-------

The use-case here is that we need the customer to be able to customise the icon, this would be done by the central configuration of what is a SaaS product. The solution would be that the defualt icon installs as part of the MSI but then is replaced out with a "downloaded" ico file thus causing the shortcuts to change to the customers ico rather than the MSI installed ico file.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Thank you for the details.

I understand your scenario, but unfortunately we do not have support for this. However, you can implement a custom action that programmatically changes the shortcut icon and execute it after the shortcut is created (after the "Add Resources" action group).

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Feature Requests”