What do you use for archiving installation files?

LZMA compression
100%
CAB files
No votes

Total votes: 2
Alyx

7-Zip 18.05?

I've been test driving Advanced Installer for a while now, and my favorite feature so far is the LZMA2 compression for installation files. And as expected from a quick dive through the binaries... Advanced Installer uses 7-Zip for LZMA2 compression!

Only problem, which is why I'm here, is that Advanced Installer 14.8 currently uses version 15.14, which was released over 3 years ago! Despite the fact that it's been outdated for some time, it would be nonsense to pass up the latest stable version, 18.05 which was released on the 30th of April with all the new, notable performance improvements and features that have been added since. Below I've highlighted some of the changes from the current version AI is using now up to the latest version on their official site (from latest to earliest):
  • The speed for LZMA/LZMA2 compressing was increased by 8% for fastest/fast compression levels and by 3% for normal/maximum compression levels.
  • 7-Zip now reserves file space before writing to file (for extraction from archive). It can reduce file fragmentation.
  • The speed for single-thread LZMA/LZMA2 decoding was increased by 30% in x64 version and by 3% in x86 version.
  • 7-Zip now can use multi-threading for 7z/LZMA2 decoding, if there are multiple independent data chunks in LZMA2 stream.
  • Minor speed optimization for LZMA2 (xz and 7z) multi-threading compression.
  • 7-Zip now uses additional memory buffers for multi-block LZMA2 compression.
  • CPU utilization was slightly improved.
  • IMPORTANT: Previous versions of 7-Zip could work incorrectly in "Large memory pages" mode in Windows 10 because of some BUG with "Large Pages" in Windows 10. Now 7-Zip doesn't use "Large Pages" on Windows 10 up to revision 1709 (16299).
You can find more specific details on what's changed on their official site: https://www.7-zip.org/history.txt
Daniel

Re: 7-Zip 18.05?

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your suggestion and for bringing to our attention the new features and capabilities of the last LZMA API.

We have added this improvement on our todo list and hopefully it will be available in the future. We will update this thread when the improvement will be out.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”