MinusMyX

Use of multiple mirrors for web installations

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:17 am

I am currently building a web installer to host my program and

1) I need the option of additional mirrors (More than the default of 2 mirrors) as I'm currently using multiple free file hosting to store the files.

2) Is it possible to implement something like IA where each feature can be downloaded via a separate URL. The reason is because places like Google drive don't host files in a directory tree setting, with each file having a unique id.

The reason why I'm not using IA to build my app is due to the fact that IA's program updater always has errors downloading new files while AI's updating process is never broken for me.

Looking forward to the implementation of these features!:D

Catalin

Re: Use of multiple mirrors for web installations

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,
I am currently building a web installer
By "web installer", do you mean an installer as the one described in our "How do I create a web-based installation package?" article ("Builds" page --> "Web installer (downloadable small EXE)" package type)?
1) I need the option of additional mirrors (More than the default of 2 mirrors) as I'm currently using multiple free file hosting to store the files.
By this, do you mean the "URL" and "mirror URL" fields from "Updater" page?
2) Is it possible to implement something like IA where each feature can be downloaded via a separate URL. The reason is because places like Google drive don't host files in a directory tree setting, with each file having a unique id.
I am not quite sure what IA is. However, if you wish the MSI to only download certain files, based on the feature selection made by the user, you can try the following settings:
  • Go to Build page, in the Configuration tab select “One CAB archive per feature“
For more information about this, please refer to the article I've linked above.

Make sure the MSI and the CAB files are in the same folder on your web server at the URL specified above.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”