TheRocket

Undo "Move to Repository" on Dialog

Fri May 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Hello!

Here is a suggestion:

If you do the "Move to repository" operation by error on a dialog, it would be great to have an option to remove all references to repository on a dialog, so all properties and controls on this dialog are stored back into the project file.

As we have source control on our projects files, we want each dialog version to be in the project file, and not in a central repository, as we are versionning our projects and changes.

Seems like there is no easy way to achieve this once a dialog have been moved to repository.

Thanks!

Catalin

Re: Undo "Move to Repository" on Dialog

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 am

Hello,
it would be great to have an option to remove all references to repository on a dialog, so all properties and controls on this dialog are stored back into the project file.
I am not quite sure I understand this scenario.

Could you please give me some more details (maybe exemplify) so I can better understand this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

TheRocket

Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 am

Hi Catalin,

Here is a example:

You are using git or svn to store your project files, including the aip project.
You are working on a Project A. You move a custom dialog to the repository, as you plan to use this dialog into other projects like Project G, K or V.

1- If you fork this project A into Project B (or A V2), and make changes to the same dialog in project B, you must not push it into the repository, as you could overwrite the repository dialog by mistake and affect Project A dialog.

2- Also, changes to Project A dialog should no longer be pushed into the repository, as it would affect the Project B directly (a new field in project A and uploaded to the repository would directly show in project B).

The only way to fully split the Projects dialogs is to move the project B dialog into the repository under a new name, thus making 1 dialog per project.

The "Move to repository" is a non-reversible operation in Advanced installer, and once you have saved your project, you cannot go back to the original, unless you have good backups of the project. So It would either need some warnings that it is a non-reversible operation, or we should have the option to copy the dialog from the repository back into the project, to no longer rely on the repository (to fully separate Project A and Project B dialogs).

Also, the Move to repository operation create new translations strings for already translated strings, which further affect the project translations, again, being a non-reversible operation.

I understand that the repository can have some versioning management on his own (different dialogs names), but I think that we are still missing some warnings about this "Move to" operation, as there is no "Move back" available.

Thanks!

Catalin

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Hello,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

Thank you for the explanation.

I have now added this on our TODO list of improvements and hopefully this will be added in a future version of Advanced Installer.

I will update this thread as soon as this improvement will be implemented.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”