sfaust

More consistent install location

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Would it be possible to set the install location to something that is not version dependent? Possibly as an optional parameter or something? Currently the install path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer *version*\bin\x86\advinst.exe" and it seems like new versions or point releases come out very regularly. I would like to keep up with the releases but there are 2 annoyances that come up whenever I update:
  1. I have AI pinned to my Windows task bar for easy launch, but it points to the exe, so whenever I update and remove older versions the taskbar icon turns to the white 'not found' icon. To get it back I have to unpin that, open the new version, then pin that to task bar.
  2. I have several build scripts that I run to build a series of installer builds for products. Since they invoke AI they use the version specific path. It's not hard to update but I have to remember to do it every time or my build scripts start failing and I have to go back and change it and build again. This also makes a new commit to source control that isn't really anything changing except the AI version number.
Neither of these are deal killers by any means, but they are annoying to have to do regularly. It would be nice to be able to switch something to make the exe be put in the same location each time. I realize that would mess with being able to have multiple versions installed at once but I only ever run one version at a time anyway so that's why I say maybe there can be a switch or something for it to work this way.

Also if I'm missing something and there is already a way to do this please let me know.

Catalin

Re: More consistent install location

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:26 am

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your feedback on this!

Even though this is totally understandable (as this constantly happens to me as well, especially the first point), I am not quite sure much can be done about it.

As you have mentioned, this would "mess" with the "side-by-side" installation of Advanced Installer.

In what regards the first point, I am afraid I am not aware of any workaround that can be done, as the shortcut that is pinned to taskbar is removed when the older version of Advanced Installer is removed.

However, in what regards the second point, here are some suggestions:

1. you can modify the install location of Advanced Installer by removing the version:

AIInstallLocation.png
AIInstallLocation.png (33.97KiB)Viewed 8831 times

When upgrading (and using the same install location), the installer will prompt you with the following message:

AIInstallLocaiton2.png
AIInstallLocaiton2.png (35.93KiB)Viewed 8831 times

2. update your scripts to build the path according to the installed version of Advanced Installer. For instance, you can take the version of the installed version of Advanced Installer and build the path using the found version.

Hope this helps somehow!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”