vcorazza

XML file merge by command line

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 pm

.Net programs compilation produces a .config xml file with some elements added at compile time. Other program-specific configurations could be present in the file, added from the installer.
AdvancedInstaller has the ability to visually merge the xml file from the source, but at command line I've found no suitable command. The only option available is to completely reimport the file (/ImportXmlFile -forceoverwrite), but any customization in the project would be overwritten (for example "if the element is found" option)
Is it possible to add such a command line /edit command that will merge xml files into project? Either with the /RefreshSync command, or a dedicated command.
I would expect a behavior like the following:
- if an element is found in the source file, but not in the xml file in the project, the element is added
- if an element is found both in the source file and in the xml file in the project, the element is updated
- if an element is not found in the source file, but it is present in the project, the element is NOT removed
Obviously any more powerful parameter that can control this behavior would be helpful

Thanks
Valerio

Catalin

Re: XML file merge by command line

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Hello Valerio,

You are indeed, right, our "External Diff for XML files" feature is not currently compatible with your command line support.

I have added your request on our TODO list of improvements and hopefully this will be added in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”