MCP

Editing text file

Hi,

I'm looking for an installer that also makes it possible to edit a text document. I'm not really (really not?) good at programming and stuff, so what I want is an installer that not only 'unzips' files and folders, but also edits a .txt file in the process, that is predefined at a certain location by me.

Is this possible with your installer?

I didn't know where else to post this in your forum, so my apologies if it;s in the wrong section.

Kind Regards
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that this feature is not supported by Advanced Installer.

However, what you need can be done by using a custom action and a scrollable edit. First, you create a "Scrollable Edit" control on a custom dialog in the "Dialogs" page (this can be done only in an Enterprise project). After this, you create two custom actions:
- the first will insert the text file into the property of the Scrollable Edit control
- the second one will save the text entered in the Scrollable Edit into a file

You can read more about custom actions here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -page.html
Also, you can find more information about the Dialog Editor feature here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ditor.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
navya

Re: Editing text file

Example.aip
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 1715 times
Hi Team,

I have a requirement like i need to enter a path of one file which is installed in a package to the another file.
Example like, if i have 2 files names called
1)db.csv
2)db.properties
I need to store the path of db.csv file in db.properties file. how can i edit db.properties file and store that db.csv file path in it during installation.
Its really very very urgent , please can any one tell me the process to configure.
Dan

Hello,

An approach to have the path of the “db.csv” is this:
You can store the path of “db.csv” using the “New Text File Update” toolbar option from the “Files and Folders” page. You can use a meaningful name(e.g “db_csvPath.txt” and in the “File Content” from the “Append/Create” option you can have the path of your “db.csv” file. (e.g. [APPDIR]HiveDeveloper\db\db.csv or in the “File Content” you can use the “file” option from the right click mouse and browse for your file).
This means that in this file(in our example: “db_csvPath.txt” ) is written the path of the “db.csv” file.

Another approach can be the following:
You can create a custom action that will write the path of the “db.csv” in the “db.properties”. For example, you can create your custom action as a custom action written in C# or a custom action written in C++.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
navya

Hi Dan,

Thank you for very quick response. I am waiting for your team response, for second options is there any thing related to java approach. any custom actions configuration using java :)
Dan

Hello,

In order to use a Java custom action you can follow our "Invoke a JAVA PROGRAM during Updating" thread steps.

Best regards,
Dan
navya

Hi Team,

I have 2 files , i need to store 1file path in another file, As 'Dan' suggested i tried with selecting "New Select Text Update" and stored the path of one file in another file, now my question is when i am storing the path i am getting in the below format

C:\Program Files\....\.....\db\db.csv

I want the path to be stored in that file in

C://Program Files//....//.....//db//db.csv is there is way to change the format of "\" symbol to "//" slash. Thank you for help :)
Dan

Hello,

In order to achieve that you can use a replace operation for your text file update. For example you can select your text update file (in our example I named it “db_csvPath.txt”) and in the “Replace” section you can set the "\" in the “Find” label and "//" in the “Replace” label.

Best regards,
Dan
zappbrannigan

Is there any updated recommended method to solve this? Lots of new versions since this post.
I have a config file where I'd like to pass in a path value users will enter/select in the installer, and replace that specific setting in the text file.
Just looking for best practice and method.
Catalin

Hello,

In order to achieve that, you can use a "Text file update" operation.

Let's consider we have the following text file:
test.png
test.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 35840 times

If you want this to be updated during install, you can create in "Files and Folders" page a "Text file update".
TxtFileUpdate.png
TxtFileUpdate.png (287.19 KiB) Viewed 35840 times

This way, your file will be updated.
UpdatedFile.png
UpdatedFile.png (45.74 KiB) Viewed 35840 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Feature Requests”