toonetown

Support for Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Would it be possible to support Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session (previously Enterprise for Virtual Desktops)? According to the FAQ at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... ession-faq, multi-session identifies itself in the ProductType with a value of 3 (same as Windows Server). We would like to create a package that _can_ be installed on Enterprise multi-session, but _cannot_ be installed on Server.

Is this possible with the current Advanced Installer?

Catalin

Re: Support for Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Hello,

It looks like we do not currently have support for "Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session".

I will add this on our TODO list of improvements and hopefully this will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Regarding your request:
We would like to create a package that _can_ be installed on Enterprise multi-session, but _cannot_ be installed on Server.
This could be achieved through a custom action. However, you would need to find something that differentiate the "Enterprise multi-session" from a Windows Server, since the ProductType is the same.

The custom action could look something as it follows:

Code: Select all

if(is_Enterprise_multi_session){
Set Property INSTALL to "Yes"
}
else{
Set Property INSTALL to "No"
}
Then use the INSTALL property to create a custom launch condition in "Launch Conditions" page --> "Custom" tab.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Hello,

After discussing this with our development team, there might be an easier solution to this.

Could you please try to create a custom "Launch Condition", as it follows:

Code: Select all

AI_DETECTED_WINDOWS_AZURE_VM AND (MsiNTProductType = 1)
and let me know if it works as expected?

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

toonetown

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Thank you for the response...I will check it out. However, I just want to validate that you intended it to be `MsiNTProductType = 1`...I think that multi-session identifies itself as producttype 3 (according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... ession-faq)

Also - would this just allow for installing Windows Server on AZURE as well? Or is there more to the AI_DETECTED_WINDOWS_AZURE_VM value?

Catalin

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Hello,

Yes, I can confirm the MsiNTProductType was indeed intended to be "1".

That basically means that the setup will only be installed on workstations and not on a server, according to our "How do I install resources based on the Operating System version?" article.
Also - would this just allow for installing Windows Server on AZURE as well? Or is there more to the AI_DETECTED_WINDOWS_AZURE_VM value?
I am not quite sure I understand your question here. If possible, could you please give me some more details?

Best regards,
Catalin

toonetown

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:43 pm

So - I know that Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session reports itself as producttype 3. That's why my questions. I would like to be able to detect this environment (and allow my installation) - but I would like to _NOT_ allow installation on Windows server (which also identifies itself as productttype 3)...even when Windows server is running on azure.

I will give this a try with the ProductType=1 and see where that gets me. Thank you for verifying.

Catalin

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 pm

You are always welcome!

Please let me know if everything works as expected.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Feature Requests”