sirmodem

Shortcut on Desktop

Ability to put a shortcut on the desktop. Also, to create a shortcut folder directly on Start Menu (ie. Start->Shortcut Folder->Shortcut)
Cata

The ability to put a shortcut on the desktop is on our todo list.

Creating shortcuts in the Start Menu is already possible. Simply create a shorcut with Advanced Installer and it will be placed in [ProgramMenuFolder][ProductName]

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
SirModem

Shortcut on Desktop

Thanks for the reply.

Is their a time frame for the next release that will have the Desktop shortcut feature?

When I mentioned shortcuts on the Start Menu, I was referring to a custom folder on the Start Menu (ie. Not under the Programs folder).

Currently, I use your program to generate the msi file then I modify it to my needs using the Microsoft SDK. Would like to just use your program alone though.

BTW, not sure if I mentioned it before, but, nice job! Must be kind of annoying to have people like myself nit-picking your product for additional features, given that it is free :-)

I would be willing to help in coding.
Cata

We're hoping to have that feature implemented by the end of the year.

Thanks for the kind words! And also thanks for the coding offer, but that would be a little difficult to set up: Advanced Installer is not open source and we also offer commercial (non-freeware) features.

All the best,
Cata
SirModem

Commercial Features

What are those commercial features? Other than the Java feature which I would have no use for.

Btw, just noticed one other problem, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. In the File Table of the msi db created by the program, it doesn't seem to make use of the Version column. That's unfortunate since the installer uses version info rather than file dates for certain files (ie. exe, dll, ocx... and other files that are registered with Windows). Is there a way to ensure that version numbers are used from Advanced Installer?
Cata

It's only the Java feature for now, with more to be added in the future.

The unused version column is a bug.

Cata
slasc

Desktop shortcuts

Until desktop shortcuts are implemented and the ability to specifiy starting directories in those shortcuts, this program is completely useless to me. I was hoping that your 1.0 release would have those features since, during your previous release, you said they would be in the next release.
breakpoint

shortcut to quicklaunch

in addition to shortcut to desktop, would like to add to your todo list a shortcut to quick launch. thanks and more power! :!:
navya

Re: Shortcut on Desktop

Hi,
My New Application getting failed to launch when i restart my system .TOmcat is in Automatic mode still my Application failed to deploy in it, when i restart tomcat servies then i could able to Launch my Application.
MY question is
1)I want to create Quick Launch short cut from there i need to start Tomcat services which is in services.msc
2)I tried creating Quick Launch short cut -->next-->selecting pre existing file from target machine-->next-->selecting quick launch tool bar-->next-->
Set TargetFIle: cmd.exe[SystemFolder] sc start [AI_TOMCAT_SERVICE_NAME] but i filed to start services.
\Can any one please tell me how can i start services from shortcut
Noramaly i open
cmd prompt sc start [service Name]

BUt i am unable to configure in shortcut
Cosmin

Re: Shortcut on Desktop

Hi,
I want to create Quick Launch short cut from there i need to start Tomcat services which is in services.msc
This is not a good solution. If your service start type is set to Automatic, it should start automatically when Windows starts. If it doesn't, the solution is to find out why and fix it.
I tried creating Quick Launch short cut -->next-->selecting pre existing file from target machine-->next-->selecting quick launch tool bar-->next-->
Set TargetFIle: cmd.exe[SystemFolder] sc start [AI_TOMCAT_SERVICE_NAME] but i filed to start services.
Starting Windows services requires Administrator privileges. So the shortcut would need to launch an elevated process. This could be done only by setting the Run as Administrator option in shortcut properties pane and this cannot be done through an installation. So a shortcut for starting a service is not a viable solution.

Try determining why the service fails to start and fix that problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Feature Requests”