jjmixman

Multiple Builds with Different Upgrade Codes

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm new to AI, currently evaluating as a more friendly, flexible and economic alternative to InstallShield. So far so good, but one thing is missing. I need a way to manage 3 different types of install from one project. The types are demo, shareware and professional. Each build is nearly the same, but I want to allow

a) side by side installation of the types
b) upgrading of the installation of a given type to a newer version.

To do this requires that each type has its own MSI upgrade code.

So, what I need is the ability to specify a build specific upgrade code. Then, I can create 3 builds within one project, choose features specific to a build, and also allocate a unique upgrade code to each build.

Hope this makes sense and is feasible for you.

Cosmin

Re: Multiple Builds with Different Upgrade Codes

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:39 am

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.
a) side by side installation of the types
I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer. A package is defined by three properties: ProductCode, ProductVersion and PackageCode. Also, the components in the package allow Windows Installer to identify it (along with the three properties). Windows Installer allows a package to be installed only once, therefore you cannot install multiple instances of the same package.

In your case, the three packages should have different Product Codes and GUIDs for the components so Windows Installer will see them as a completely different packages. This is not supported by the multiple builds feature, but we have on our TODO list a feature which will allow you to do this.
b) upgrading of the installation of a given type to a newer version.
A package can configured to upgrade its older versions upgraded by following some rules. For more details please see the Upgrades article in the User Guide.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

jjmixman

In your case, thRe: Multiple Builds with Different Upgrade C

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for your detailed reply. Hadn't realized that the components have to have distinct GUIDs though I can see that this makes sense.
In your case, the three packages should have different Product Codes and GUIDs for the components so Windows Installer will see them as a completely different packages. This is not supported by the multiple builds feature, but we have on our TODO list a feature which will allow you to do this
Do you have an estimate timescale for implementing this?

Cosmin

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi,
Do you have an estimate timescale for implementing this?
I'm afraid I cannot give you an ETA for now. However, we will try to implement it as soon as possible.

Regards,
Cosmin

LuWa

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 am

Hi.

Is this already implemented?

Cosmin

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 am

Hi,

No, I'm afraid it was not implemented. It wasn't requested by many users, so we worked on more popular features. However, it's still on our TODO list and it will be available in the future.

Regards,
Cosmin

djadeja

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 am

Hi.

Is this feature now implemented? We need this feature desperately.

Because, We have created multiple build for a single product. Each product build has only difference of a configuration file and shortcuts . And thanks to Advanced Installer, multiple build feature has saved our lots of Build system management efforts.

But, now we have got to know that, we are NOT able to install the multiple build (output product installer) simultaneously on a SINGLE machine. That should be because of same Upgrade Code.
We have come to a project development stage where, we do not have time to and we can not separate the multiple builds to individual AI Projects.

We need this feature desperately. OR Can you suggest some way to achieve our goal ?

Thanks,
Divyarajsinh Jadeja

Cosmin

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,

Please note that simply changing the UpgradeCode for each build isn't enough. Each component should also have a different GUID, the install paths should be unique, the registry locations should also be unique etc. Otherwise the packages will conflict.

The correct approach is to create a custom template and use it to create new projects for each product (build).

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Feature Requests”