bbaca

Fatal Error during LaunchConditions check

Greetings. Using 17.3. Added .NET Framework 4.8 launch condition. On Windows Server (2016 and 2019) the install process seems to fail at the LaunchConditions stage with:

Action ended 15:04:27: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (A0:18) [15:04:27:760]: Doing action: FatalError
Action start 15:04:27: FatalError.
Action ended 15:04:30: FatalError. Return value 1.

Same install on two separate Windows 10 machines continues past the prerequisite stage without issue. To rule out a problem with .NET installation on the Windows Server machines, I successfully installed then removed the framework.

I produced log files from the failed and successful installations.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Catalin

Re: Fatal Error during LaunchConditions check

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I am not quite sure I understand what the problem is here.
To rule out a problem with .NET installation on the Windows Server machines, I successfully installed then removed the framework.
Please note that this is the normal behavior. If, in our case, .NET Framework is not installed on the machine, the setup should fail, thus the encountered behavior is normal.
Same install on two separate Windows 10 machines continues past the prerequisite stage without issue.
This is most probably happening because the .NET Framework is installed on those two machines.

If the above information is of no help for you, could you please give me some more details (maybe exemplify) about your scenario so I can further assist?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
bbaca

Thanks for the response Catalin. I was under the impression, based on configuration, that the installer would proceed to launching the Microsoft installer of the .NET Framework. Specifically, I added the Pre-install Prerequisite of .NET 4.8.
Catalin

You are always welcome, Bryan!
I was under the impression, based on configuration, that the installer would proceed to launching the Microsoft installer of the .NET Framework. Specifically, I added the Pre-install Prerequisite of .NET 4.8.
By default, the launch conditions are checked before the prerequisites are launched.

In order to change that behavior, please go to "Prerequisites" page --> "Packages" --> under "Global Prerequisite Options" section, uncheck the "Check launch conditions before checking for prerequisites" option.

However, please note that you may not need the launch condition anymore since you have added the .NET Framework as a prerequisite in your package.

Some conditions similar to the launch conditions are evaluated before the prerequisite is installed and after it is installed.

Hope things are clearer now!

Best regards,
Catalin
bbaca

Thank you Catalin. Your suggestion resolved the issue. Have a nice day.
Catalin

You are always welcome, Bryan!

I'm glad I could help.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”