Launched exe stays in background

Having trouble running Advanced Installer? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
SimLoe

Launched exe stays in background

Post by SimLoe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:36 am

Hi all,

I did some research in this forum and found out that for an application being launched by the installer to be in the foreground, it might be necessary to select "Run under the LocalSystem account with full privileges (no impersonation)" for a custom Action "Launch File". However, I am not able to select this option:
settings.PNG
settings.PNG (72.4 KiB) Viewed 198 times
This results in the setup looking the following way, with the launched exe being in the background:
setup.PNG
setup.PNG (79.7 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Do you have any idea what I can do in order for this window to be in the foreground?

Best regards,

Simon

Catalin

Re: Launched exe stays in background

Post by Catalin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:35 am

Hello Simon,

Please accept my apologies for such a delayed reply (I've been off for a week).

I have tested this, but unfortunately I was not able to replicate the same behavior.

Unfortuantely, even though we have faced this issue in the past, I can not really say why it happens, the behaviour being pretty random.

From what I know, it is the OS that controls the focus of a window.

In order for me to further test and investigate this, could you please forward me a test project (.AIP file) that reproduces this (of course, together with a download link for the executable that is launched in the background) by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SimLoe

Post by SimLoe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am

Hello Catalin,

just wanted to check whether you have received my email which I sent 9 days ago.

Please keep me up to date!

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Post by Catalin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Hello Simon,

First of all, I apologize for such a delayed reply, we were pretty busy lately.

Yes, I did receive the files and I also managed to reproduce the behavior. I am currently still investigating this (trying to find the root cause for this problem).

Sure thing, I will notify you as soon as I find anything that might be of help (the only reason I did not notify you is because I did not find anything just yet).

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Post by Catalin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Hello Simon,

I've done some more testing last night and I believe I was able to find the culprit here.

The issue seems to be related to the fact that you have "Run as administrator" on your main package.

I am afraid, however, that this issue might not be related to Advanced Installer, but to the OS.

Even if you do not have the "Run as administrator" option enabled from the "Install Parameters" page and you run the setup elevated (e.g. right click on the EXE --> "Run as administrator"), the same will happen. Considering this is happening outside of Advanced Installer as well (when manually running the setup elevated), I am afraid that this issue is not related to our option, but to the fact itself that the setup is run elevated from the start.

Unfortunately, I can not really say what's the reasoning behind this.

Best regards,
Catalin