tzeht

Desktop shortcut icon missing

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:20 pm

My installer creates two shortcuts to an installed exe file - one in the start menu and on on the desktop. The startmenu shortcut works fine. It uses the application icon from the exe file, but the desktop icon is only displayed as a blank sheet. Seems to be a bug. I tested the package on two Windows 8.1 64-Bit machines.

Dan

Re: Desktop shortcut icon missing

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:22 am

Hello,

I'm not sure why you encountered the this behavior.
In order to have a better view about this, can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

edragan

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Hello,

I am having the exact issue as the previous poster. The icon for desktop shortcut is shown as blank despite being configured in the installer. The icon in Program Menu is displayed correctly.

I am using version 13.5 of the installer.

Thanks.

Daniel

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello,

This may happen due to a Windows Installer bug. This usually happens during an upgrade. The icons are cached by the Windows Installer in the special "C:\Windows\Installer" folder but sometimes the cached icon is lost after an upgrade.

Can you please explicitly specify an icon for your shortcut and see if this helps? Just go to "Files and Folders" page, double click on your shortcut and in the "Shortcut Properties" dialog pick an icon file in the "Icon" field. Then rebuild and test again your installation scenario.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

edragan

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:56 pm

This was happening during a normal install...

I set the icon explicitly, re-ran the test, and got the icon to appear on the desktop.

There is a scenario where the icon setting is "lost" in the aip file. I do not know exactly what that is yet. Going back and setting it again as you described addresses the issue.

I'll keep my eyes open for it and report the exact scenario if I encounter the situation again.

Daniel

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 am

Thank you for your follow up.
There is a scenario where the icon setting is "lost" in the aip file. I do not know exactly what that is yet. Going back and setting it again as you described addresses the issue.
I'm not sure if this is the case, but this might happened if the setup project was moved from his original location. The referenced icon path from disk is saved relatively (to the AIP project path) in the setup project. Thus, when moving the setup project if its referenced resources are not moved accordingly (relatively to the AIP) they won't be detected.

Also, there may be the case when the icon was moved (on disk) at different path since it was added in the setup project.

However, just try to find out a pattern if this issue occurs again.

All the best,
Daniel

pwalters58

Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 am

I am having this issue too - it's something on my work computer. I tried compiling my project at home and I have all my shortcuts. I tried reinstalling AI and that did not help either. What else should I check on my work computer to get it working again?

Daniel

Thu May 02, 2019 8:53 am

Hello,

I am afraid we have never been able to find a resolution for this issue: shortcut icon is missing after the setup installation. This seems to be an unknown Windows Installer icon cache issue which we never found an explanation or a root cause for. It seems sometimes the shortcut cached icon is lost and from what we found the only way to recover it is by triggering a repair.

You can find similar reports on our "Desktop icon is missing after reboot" thread too.

All the best,
Daniel

pwalters58

Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 am

... if the setup project was moved from his original location. The referenced icon path from disk is saved relatively (to the AIP project path) in the setup project. Thus, when moving the setup project if its referenced resources are not moved accordingly (relatively to the AIP) they won't be detected.

I have moved the setup project, maybe even several times while troubleshooting. How do I fix this project path???

Eusebiu

Fri May 03, 2019 6:28 am

Hello,

Please take a look on the "Support for moving AI Project file" thread where is described how to convert the files' paths from relative to absolute.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

Dmitriy8100

How to remove the icon in the installer

Mon May 23, 2022 7:10 am

Good afternoon!
Please tell me how to remove the icon at the beginning of the language selection installer?
25637602.jpg
25637602.jpg (22.26KiB)Viewed 4084 times

Liviu

Re: How to remove the icon in the installer

Mon May 23, 2022 12:55 pm

Dmitriy8100 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:10 am
Good afternoon!
Please tell me how to remove the icon at the beginning of the language selection installer?
25637602.jpg
Hello and welcome to our forums,

You can change this icon from the "Builds" page --> "EXE icon" option:
exe icon.png
exe icon.png (284.89KiB)Viewed 4060 times

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”