DavidIzadaR

Sparse Package support

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:29 pm

I'm evaluating AdvancedInstaller to replace our old customized InnoSetup.
We want to take advantage of the new features of sparse packages on Windows 11.
In particular, we implemented IContextMenu in a DLL (registered as COM), but now we want to promote it to the Windows 11 context menu (not under "Show more options").
According to Microsoft, we can use sparse packages for giving identity to our application, signing the MSIX installer, and using a custom manifest for enabling features like the old IContextMenu.
Something like this:
<desktop9:Extension Category="windows.fileExplorerClassicContextMenuHandler">
<desktop9:FileExplorerClassicContextMenuHandler>
<desktop9:ExtensionHandler Type="*" Clsid="57fa2d12-d22d-490a-805a-5cb48e84f12a" />
<desktop9:ExtensionHandler Type="Directory" Clsid="57fa2d12-d22d-490a-805a-5cb48e84f12a" />
<desktop9:ExtensionHandler Type="Folder" Clsid="57fa2d12-d22d-490a-805a-5cb48e84f12a" />
<desktop9:ExtensionHandler Type="lnkfile" Clsid="57fa2d12-d22d-490a-805a-5cb48e84f12a" />
</desktop9:FileExplorerClassicContextMenuHandler>
</desktop9:Extension>
I imported our old MSI installer and followed the guide published by Danut Ghiorghita.
I was able to import the MSI and build the new MSI.
But I was unable to build the MSIX.
The latest error messages are:
--------------------------------
Checking builds status
Build required.

[ Build_MSIX_APPX ]
Detecting Signtool compatibility
Sync MSIX/APPX COM data
Detecting MSIX/APPX incompatible resources
WARNING: Package Migration. Package Migration requires the project to have application(s) with 'Windows.FullTrustApplication' entry point. Please check Help page for more details.
ERROR: Invalid Portable Executable (PE) file. 'C:\SVN\AdvancedInstaller\Resources\Beyond Compare 5 5.0.0.26640\Files\Beyond Compare 5\BCompare.exe' is not a valid Portable Executable for the build: 'Build_MSIX_APPX->x64'. Please select a different one.

Build finished because an error was encountered. See Issues pane for more actions.
-------------------------------
Every time I go to issues and fix one of them, it appears again (I'm using the trial version).
Do you have a complete example showing how to do the whole process?

Thanks,
David Izada Rodriguez

Catalin

Re: Sparse Package support

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:34 am

Hello David and welcome to our forums,

From the build log, it looks like you are encountering the same error as described in the following thread:

MSIX Build failure

Regarding the warning you are encountering, please make sure that the "Full trust" checkbox is selected in the "Capabilities" page.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

DavidIzadaR

Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:23 pm

Catalin, I followed the instructions, and FullTrust is already active.
As I understand, your next release will support IContextMenu extensions.
I should probably wait for it as my primary goal with the installer is to keep our current implementation of IContextMenu for Windows 11.

Thanks

Catalin

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:22 am

Hello David,

The "IContextMenu" support is indeed on our TODO list of improvements and should be available in one of our next releases.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”