Matt

Browse for folder

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi,

During the install we are going to give our customers the option to install some customer specific items such as reports ect. We are going to send our customers a folder that contains all of the information then we want them to copy the folder to their server and in the Advanced installer Dialogs be able to point to the folder they have got from us. I have found a way of browsing for a file but we need to Browse for a file is there a way of doing this?

Matt

mihai.petcu

Re: Browse for folder

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Matt,
I have found a way of browsing for a file but we need to Browse for a file is there a way of doing this?
I assume by this you mean you need to browse for a folder at install time. Here is the user guide article to help you with this.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Matt

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi,

I have had a look at that acticle but I am unclear as to what it does. What we need to do basically is for the user to browse for a folder then once they have browsed to a folder we then use that path in some scripts.

Matt

mihai.petcu

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Matt,

The article is self explanatory from the title and first paragraph:
How to browse for a folder at install time?
It might be required to allow the user to select a second folder during the installation, in addition to the Application Folder. In order to achieve this you would need to implement the functionality provided by the predefined FolderDlg dialog, as described below.
In short, on following the article you will create another dialog similar to FolderDlg in the installer UI chain. The folder the user browses to will be stored in the MY_DIR public property.

If you found the article unclear thus tried to implement its functionality in a test project, can you please be more concise about the step you find confusing?

All the best,
Mihai

Matt

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi,

In the instructions it tells you to create a property based folder will this folder show up on the users computer?

Matt

mihai.petcu

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Matt,

The property based folder is necessary for the browsing mechanism. I gave you the article reference so you can understand how browsing for a folder works and get you started.

In the sample project the property based folder contains some files which will be created on the target machine.

If you implement the article step by step, if at install time the user types an unexisting folder in the Path Edit control, the folder will be created on the target machine. You can avoid this by disabling the Path Edit control from the right pane( Enabled : False ).
Another scenario when the folder is created is when the user choses an empty folder. However, your functionality implied the user to browse and chose an existing non-empty folder, in which case the folder will not be created.

All the best,
Mihai

Matt

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi,

This has worked now thanks for your help.

Matt

Ruben

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:30 pm

I've found this ancient post because the article
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... older.html confused me, too.

The reason is that it differs *very much* from browsing for a file (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -file.html)
which one could expect to be very similar.

Especially, when I read we have to create a (property-based) folder (!) This reads very surprising since I wanted to user to browse one, but not to create one initially.

How about adding an explicit confirmation on top of the article that the reader is right here ? And that browsing for a folder really must be that different.
(And I'm still wondering...)

All the best,
Ruben

Daniel

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello Ruben,

Thank you for your suggestion. We'll add an extra notification in the related article mentioning that the folder will be created on target machine (if it doesn't already exist) and giving a solution to avoid the browsed folder installation.

And, yes I'm afraid currently this is our approach for browsing for a folder.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Codename K

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:17 pm

Hello,

I tried the method explained in this link: https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... older.html

But, I get this error when trying to click the Next button:

Invalid Drive: <folder path>

Also, the Path Edit does not change. It only says "C:\".

:?:
K

Liviu

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 am

Hello K,

I'm not sure why this happens.

Can you please forward to me the .AIP (setup project) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can review it's settings?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Liviu

Codename K

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:04 am

Can you please forward to me the .AIP (setup project) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can review it's settings?
OK, I sent it.
K

Liviu

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am

Hi K,

I have replied to you over the email.

Best regards,
Liviu

Codename K

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:14 pm