tcallahan

Prereq Post Install not passing Command Line Properly

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:44 pm

I have an AIP where I have setup a Post Install Prerequisite that pulls down an MSI file from a URL, and then is supposed to run that MSI. The download and execution work without any issues, but trying to pass parameters into the msiexec process doesn't seem to work.

I have the "Install Command Lines" set to "/qb /L*V C:\install.log PARAM1=something PARAM2=somethingelse /NORESTART" and when checking the verbose logs, the PARAM's are not seen by msiexec. Is there something I'm missing in the proper way to pass in Parameters?

msiexec is seeing the /qb and the /L*V properly, just nothing else.

Catalin

Re: Prereq Post Install not passing Command Line Properly

Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:23 pm

Hello Tom,

From what I can see, the command line is indeed correct, with a twist, that being the "/NORESTART" parameter.

I am not quite sure this is a parameter that is supported by default by Windows Installer, so your specific MSI would need to customly support it.

Now, in order to see whether the issue relies in Advanced Installer or your MSI, let's try to manually launch the MSI with the same command line from the command prompt and see if the parameters are set.

You can do so by opening an administrative command prompt and launching the MSI from there, as it follows:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "<path_to_MSI>" /qb /L*V C:\install.log PARAM1=something PARAM2=somethingelse /NORESTART
When doing so, outside of Advanced Installer, do the parameters get set? If they are not, then most likely the issue relies in the custom MSI you are trying to add as a prerequisite.

Additionally, if you are not sure about the /NORESTART parameter, please remove it and try testing this once again (first from the command prompt and then from Advanced Installer).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

tcallahan

Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:40 pm

The /NORESTART is supported by the MSI, and all of this works without any issues when running it manually using MSIEXEC. It also works if I setup a Custom Action, to make sure the Parameters I'm passing are working correctly.

The issue seems to be that when using a Post-Install PreRequisite, it's ignoring or not properly passing in the Install Command Lines. It's almost like there is a preprocessor within Advanced Installer that honors the default msiexec options, but will not pass through the custom parameters. For instance, /qb does as I expect as does /L*V, but none of the others get passed in.

tcallahan

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:48 pm

Worth noting, /NORESTART is a default allowed option for msiexec

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ne-options

Catalin

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm

Hello Tom,

From what I can see, my colleague Danut has answered you over the email while I was off.

He also provided you with a sample project.

If you still encounter issues with this, then please forward us a download link for the setup you are trying to add as a prerequisite.

Additionally, please also forward me a list of the parameters you are trying to pass through the command line and how I can see whether they were set or not (how you are testing this).

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”