lmalvani

SQL Server express 2017 feature based prerequisite

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi every all,

i have a simple installer that include sql server express 2017 prerequisite. I set up sql server express bootstraper like feature based following this page, https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... uestion169. I use this command line parameters for the bootstrapper of sqlserver express:

-/x:"c:\\SQL2017Inst" /q /SkipInstallerRunCheck /ACTION=Install /HIDECONSOLE /FEATURES=SQL /UPDATEENABLED=0 /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ENU /ERRORREPORTING=0 /TCPENABLED=1 /NPENABLED=1 /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD=mySaPassword /INSTANCENAME=InstanceName /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT SERVICE\MSSQL$InstanceName"

The silent installation (/exenoui /qn) failed for the following reason :
"The account that is running SQL Server Setup does not have one or all of the following rights: the right to back up files and directories, the right to manage auditing and the security log and the right to debug programs. To continue, use an account with both of these rights. For more information" . the installer run with the administrative privileges
If i set up sqlserver express 2017 prerequisites like pre-install prerequisites , the installation completed successfully.

I need to install sql server express 2017 like featured based prerequisite, how can resolve this problem?

Catalin

Re: SQL Server express 2017 feature based prerequisite

Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:20 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

The error you are encountering is thrown by the SQL Server setup itself - it is not an error thrown by your setup created with Advanced Installer.

SQL Server installation fails after default user rights are removed

Now, in the past, SQL Server has been known to fail when trying to install it as a feature-based prerequisite, as you could see in the article you've linked.

For instance, the following SO thread discusses the same error and how you can create the log file (which can give more details about what is failing):

SQL Server 2017 Installation Fails on Windows 10

You may also find useful another post from Microsoft's forums:

"Set up Account Privileges" Failure when Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014

For instance, when running the SQL Server setup outside of Advanced Installer, does it work as expected?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”