NigelShaw

Installer - files not executing on workstation

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:43 am

Hey

I have built my install and have installed it successfully on 4 test machines locally in my dev office. When i install on a company workstation, the install succeeds but the installed exe doesnt execute at all. I added a test exe and that doesnt executer either but does on the test machines.

furthermore, if i log in as another user on the company workstation, i cannot edit or delete any files in the install folder. I cannot even delete or edit a text file...

The install location is C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\Files

Is there anything that will allow me to override this?

I also noticed that the registry keys added are not present for any other users except the one who installed it. My keys are in HKCU/Software. I read about advertising the shortcut however, i do not require a shortcut as the installed files are related to an addin that can only be used with a 3rd party application. How can i make them be available for all users without needing elevated permissions?

Thanks

Liviu

Re: Installer - files not executing on workstation

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:53 pm

Hi,

Most likely you have a per-user setup package. In order to achieve your behavior (the registry and files available for all users) you should have a per-machine installation type.

When using the "Per-user only" option the application will be available only for the user who installed it.

With a "Per-machine only" setup the application will be available for all the users of that machine.

More details on our Installation Type article.

You can also have a loon on the How to deliver a file to all users profiles article.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”