jmoleary

Why does AI need access to my private key?

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:45 pm

I just updated from 19.7 to 19.7.1. Then I built a new version of my installer. On the build, Windows Security popped up a dialog saying "Do you want to allow the app to access your private key? Key description: CryptoAPI Private Key". The dialog popped up around 10 times during the build. I had to choose "yes" every time.

I've been building this installer for years.

1. What does this mean?
2. Why am I only seeing it now?
3. What happens when I make my build on an remote PC with an Azure DevOps build agent but there is no user around to click a dialog (or UI since it builds in a service). Does the build fail?

Daniel

Re: Why does AI need access to my private key?

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:33 pm

Hi,

This may happen if you are using the "Use from Azure Key Vault" option in "Digital Signatures" page of your setup project. When using this option at build time Advanced Installer needs to use your Azure Key Vault secret key to sign the setup package.

I really cannot say why this prompt did not appear in the past, maybe you have used a different signing option in our "Digital Signatures" page.

When it comes to building your setup project from Azure DevOps, then you should just follow our "How to configure digital signing in Advanced Installer Azure DevOps Task" article steps.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”