K7LER

SignTool Errors

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:48 pm

I use Help and Manual 8 to generate eWriter help files which are EXE's. I codesign them before being built with Advanced Installer, but I have the settings in AI to to enable signing and those eWriter files are in the list to sign.

Everything works as expected.

I did an update to Help and Manual and now, apparently the eWriter exe files are in a bad format, so it won't codesign those exe's.
Advanced Installer did not apparently stop due to an error because of that and did not include those eWriter files in the installation build.

My expectation is that if there is a failure to codesign (assuming not codesigned) that the build would fail, which it did not.

It would be nice to have a similar Installshield feature that gives you the option to codesign any files that have already been signed in a project. I typically do not resign if already signed.

This was in 19.7.1 of Advanced Installer

Catalin

Re: SignTool Errors

Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:43 am

Hello,

I'm afraid I do not fully understand your scenario here. Could you please give me some more details?

Normally, if the files are already signed, there is no need to resign them in Advanced Installer. However, you should sign the resulted EXE/MSI from the "Digital Signature" page.
My expectation is that if there is a failure to codesign (assuming not codesigned) that the build would fail, which it did not.
If there is an error during the signing porcess, the build will indeed stop.

If the file is already signed, you should be getting (in the build log) a message stating that the file is already signed:
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (19.83KiB)Viewed 1152 times

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”