vmeiser@amberg.ch

Windows feature IIS fails on domain computers

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Hello,

We have an installer built with Advanced Installer. We are installing IIS from the Windows Feature Bundle. Weird thing is when we run the installer on a fresh Virtual Machine, it works and we can see IIS. However, when client runs it on their computer (they have domain computer) they cannot start the IIS. In fact IIS doesn't show up on the menu. Note: the installer did NOT show any error message. When we looked at the windows features it looks like the IIS should have installed, but can't find it in the menu:
2022-09-26_Windows_Feature_ISS_screenshot_1.png
2022-09-26_Windows_Feature_ISS_screenshot_1.png (155.12KiB)Viewed 3299 times
Moreover, we have compared the two logs of successful and unsuccessful installation, and surprisingly there were no significant difference that might indicate of any kind of error for the IIS installation.

Here's a screenshot of our advanced installer configuration:
2022-09-26_Windows_Feature_ISS_screenshot_2.png
2022-09-26_Windows_Feature_ISS_screenshot_2.png (62.04KiB)Viewed 3299 times
Any idea what is going wrong? Or how can we even look for the problem?

Best Regards
Vincent Meiser
Head of Software Engineering Rail
Amberg Technologies AG

Catalin

Re: Windows feature IIS fails on domain computers

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:12 pm

Hello Vincent and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why that is happening.

I would assume your client machine has some policy that prevents IIS from being enabled or something similar.

If possible, could you please try joining your VM to a domain and retest this? I highly doubt just joining the machine to the domain would prevent this from working.

Additionally, if possible, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of your .AIP file

- a download link for the setup (built with the above mentioned AIP file)

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can also run some tests on my end?

What I would also test is manually trying to enable IIS on your client's machine. If he tries to enable it, does it work?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”