fede071

Advanced Installer with Jenkins Plugin on a Linux server

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:16 am

Hello,

my company has recently purchased a license for Advanced Installer.
For continuous integration, we use Jenkins on a Linux server.

We followed the tutorial under https://www.advancedinstaller.com/confi ... eline.html and we thought the plugin would have worked independently from the OS on which Jenkins was running.
Unfortunately, our assumption was wrong and we got the following error message:

FATAL: caphyon.jenkins.advinst.AdvinstInstaller$InstallationFailedException: Advanced Installer only runs under Windows platform

We were now thinking of installing Advanced Installer on a windows virtual machine on the Linux server.
Is there a way to bridge the gap between Jenkins and the virtual machine so that we can still build a new installer every time a new version of our software is built in Jenkins?

Thank you in advance.

Federica

Catalin

Re: Advanced Installer with Jenkins Plugin on a Linux server

Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:24 pm

Hello Federica,

Advanced Installer is built upon Windows Installer technology (propietary to Microsoft) and which works, as its name suggests, only on Windows.

Now, of course, our extension will also work only on Windows since it's used to build the setup.
We were now thinking of installing Advanced Installer on a windows virtual machine on the Linux server.
Is there a way to bridge the gap between Jenkins and the virtual machine so that we can still build a new installer every time a new version of our software is built in Jenkins?
Regarding this, I am not quite sure it will work out. I mean, if the Jenkins will also be configured on the Windows VM, then this might work, but otherwise I am not quite sure how to basically connect Jenkins from your Linux machine to the VM with Windows.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Re: Advanced Installer with Jenkins Plugin on a Linux server

Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:37 pm

Hello Federica,

After further discussions with my team, I believe there might be a way to achieve what you need, although it is not dependant on us.

First of all, we would need a way to move the files from the build server (our Linux machine) to the Windows machine (the VM).

Then, if Jenkins allows it, we would have a script which calls the COM interface of Advanced Installer to build the project: Working with Advanced Installer from the Command Line. Not quite sure if Jenkins allow this (i.e. connect to the VM and run a script there), but it's worth a try.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”